plc with hmi interfacing

sonjacksy

hello to all my question is can we interface a plc with a different brand of hmi using modbus communication. is it necessary that both the brand should be same for modubus communicaiton.

For the most part, Modbus should allow you to talk between one brand PLC and another brand HMI. Sometimes there is a little manipulation that needs done depending on how the PLC breaks up 32 bit numbers and how the HMI interprets them, but once you figure one of them out it is usually fairly easy from there.

What brand of PLC and HMI are you considering?

GE 90-30 to intouch

I am thinking my problem maybe cable related but here is my question. I have the address right and com settings. I have intouch linked to GESNP and the GESNP address set in the power supply port had the program cable trying to communicate but it just times out. I can not get it to communicate any advice would be helpful.

I am thinking my problem maybe cable related but here is my question. I have the address right and com settings. I have intouch linked to GESNP and the GESNP address set in the power supply port had the program cable trying to communicate but it just times out. I can not get it to communicate any advice would be helpful.

I'd recommend that you start a new thread for this question and provide more information, such as:

Which Version of InTouch?
Which Operating System?
Do you have true comm ports on your computer?
What is the cable that you are using? Is it the Horner 9pin comm port cable with the RS485 converter for the PLC port?
Which model of 9030 PLC are you using?
Which Version of the GESNP IO Server?