PLC5/40 Programming through Channel 0

kutuz

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to connect RsLogix 5 using Rslinx to PLC5/40 if Channel 0 is configured as System (Master) or System (Slave)? I have only COM1 on my laptop and 2-3, 3-2, 5-7 DB9-DB25 cable which works just fine in System (Peer-to-Peer) mode.

Thank you.

Hi Mickey, thank you for the reply.

Actually, I tried these drivers and I could not make my laptop connected to the PLC.
I have a program which sets Channel 0 to System (Master), 9600, 8, 1, None, CRC, Half Duplex Modem without Continuous Carrier. And I cannot find correct settings for Rslinx to be able to connect to the PLC. Auto-Configuration does not work for this config.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

In de the DF1 configuration screen: check if you got the right device: PLC-CH0, protocol should be full duplex.
Use the "auto configure" button, and RSLinx should find your PLC CH 0 settings. Sometime it comes with an error message, while there is a good connection. You can check this in "RSWHO" click on the DF1 driver and see if RSLinx shows your PLC.

I don't know if you use the right cable, you can check it by using a gender, and use "auto configure" again, and see if this works.

Good luck..

I have a PLC5/11 in front of me now and cannot connect with those setting either.
But I don't have a modem, not sure if that is the problem though.

Hopefully someone who has done this will check in.

I just tried it with the PLC5/11 channel 0 configured for DF1 Half Duplex Slave and was able to get online using the DF1 Polling Master Driver in RSlinx. That was probably what I saw in the past. I know this does not help you. Again hopefully someone knows with your settings.

I'm always using RS232 DF1 driver....
Maybe there is a difference between a PLC5/11 and a PLC5/40.. I've a PLC5/40 in front of me, and can go online by the RS232 DF1 driver.

You need to use a Null modem cable and I believe a 9 to 25 null modem is, 2-2, 3-3, 5-7.

A, 9 to 9 is, 2-3, 3-2, 5-5.

A web check should I hope confirm my wiring connections.

Also I believe it uses BCC, instead of CRC.

But an Auto config should fix the DF1 driver to the right settings once you get your cable sorted.

I have multiple PLC 5's in my plant and there is never an issue getting online with Channel 0. This is the default Programming port for first Download. Even if you are using a 3A Sidecar Ethernet you still need to set up the IP through this port.

With that all said I use a normal AB 1747-CP3 cable (9 to 9) and use a DB25-Male/DB9-Male Straight Through (NOT NULL MODEM). As for RSLinx.... Do as Gil47 Said

"Auto config should fix the DF1 driver to the right settings once you get your cable sorted. "

I Always auto config my AB PLC5's SLC's and HMIs' (that use serial) because they do differ. Gil47 is right in the error check .... usually PLC5's are set to the older BCC check