Plc5/80b

craigsimon

I have a A/B PLC5/80B processor in a remote plant (1000 miles away). This processor has channel 1A connected to the local DH+ network, which has SLC5/04s and PC on it. Channel 3A is connected up to the plant's ethernet network. Using RSLinx and our WAN, I am able to connect up to the PLC5/80. Is there a way for me to bridge through the 5/80 and get to the other processors on the DH+ network?

I am doing this at another plant using a 1756-ENBT & a 1756-DHRIO cards, but there I am not bridging a PLC.
Thanks

Users are so accustomed now to bridging through ControlLogix that they often forget you can't do that with a PLC-5.

No, you cannot bridge between any of the PLC-5 network channels.

Probably the easiest way to get this done is to install RSLinx Gateway on the PC that connects to your DH+ network. RSLinx Gateway will allow you to use that local 1784-KTX or PKTX card on the remote machine over a TCP connection.

Now that raises an interesting question...

Would connecting a Net-ENI to one of the SLC-5/04 serial ports and then connecting the other side of the ENI to the plant Ethernet network let you bridge through the SLC-5/04 to the other 5/04s on the DH+?

If so, is this a reliable solution?

Thanks,

(8{)} ( .)

Thanks Ken. That is what I thought. I do not need to get into their network very often, so when I do I will make the trip. They will not spend money to give me access from afar, but they will spend money for me to fly out and visit for a week.

The only step to take now is to find a good restaurant near the plant with cute waitresses and good coffee.