PLC5 not working

Hi,

I tried all the aforementioned steps but my problem is till not solved. PROC indicator is still showing solid RED color and Device could not be recognised. I tried to download the file but that didnt work. First of all, when the keyswitch is in RUN mode a message is coming that Resorce of Faulted Memory Processor cannot be edited. when i tried to upload the file the processor settings were asked to be changed. After changing the settings the upload/merge file tab started working but on clicking that "uploading failed!" message appeared. Can you please guilde me?

m.nazish said:
First of all, when the keyswitch is in RUN mode a message is coming that Resorce of Faulted Memory Processor cannot be edited
Like I said before, the keyswitch must be in PROG or REM/RUN position.

m.nazish said:
the upload/merge file tab started working but on clicking that "uploading failed!"
Like I said before, the memory is empty. There is nothing to upload.

You may well have a defective CPU. But try to download again, with the keyswitch in PROG. Also read what I wrote in post #15 about the chassis switches.

Is there an EPROM inserted in the CPU ?

There is no EPROM inserted in the CPU. Also as posted in #15 about the chassis switches i did exactly the same but of no use. I am trying the downloading method again with keyswitch in PROG mode.

Is there an alternate solution? If u can please help.

With no EPROM, and the memory is cleared, then you may be in luck.
There is a good chance that the CPU isnt defective.
The entire problem may be that there is no EPROM and maybe the battery is drained (what does the BAT lamp indicate ?), or there was a glitch in the power supply. Another possible cause I have heard about is that excessive ethernet traffic can cause the CPU memory to become corrupted.
When the problem is fixed, then get an EPROM !

I tried dowloading the file again but i am getting an error with the following message:

"The BOOTP enable settings for Ethernet Channel has been selected. Processor Power should be cycled to ensure that the prorper address settings are obtained from the BOOTP server". Can you please help?

Also The Battery indicator is always OFF in all the cases.

m.nazish said:
"The BOOTP enable settings for Ethernet Channel has been selected. Processor Power should be cycled to ensure that the prorper address settings are obtained from the BOOTP server".
This tells us that you are on the right way.
The message is merely a warning that to get online via Ethernet, the CPU has to get its IP address from a BOOTP server.
Are you sure that you want BOOTP enabled ? If there is no BOOTP server, you just specify the IP adress manually. Ethernet is much much preferred to serial.

m.nazish said:
Also The Battery indicator is always OFF in all the cases.
Battery is drained, and no EPROM. Just as I said.
Oops. Sorry, if the battery was drained, the lamp would be on with red light.

Anyway, just proceed with downloading the program.

Last edited:
I am facing lot of problems in downloading the program. Program is getting downloaded only when driver is AB_ETH-1 and not when AB_DF-1. When downloading first it asks the driver settings to be changed to AB_DF-1 if driver is AB_ETH-1. And then it starts downloading, a window for ethernet channel ip address difference appears with cuurent and downloaded ips. It then asks to download the new ethernet address settings over current settings. On enetering "yes" downloading again fails. It then asks to log in with different access class. On entering "yes" it asks for password. Can you please help?

I think that you have actually managed to download the program.

Now you are asked to go online, but there is access privileges setup in the project file. Subesequent downloads will also fail without logging in with the correct class.

You can investigate the passwords and privileges setup in the offline project.
If you manage to get hold of the password, you shall probably have to login with Class 1.
You may have to contact the original programmer to get the password.

Another thing you can try is to simply turn the keyswitch to PROG and then to RUN. If everything is ok, the CPU shall enter RUN mode.

To get the ethernet address to "take", you will have to cycle power. AB doesn't do "on the fly" ethernet changes.

You may have already done this, just FYI.

Is it not possible that program get downloaded without privelege password and PROC indicator starts showing GREEN color? If the program is already downloaded then why PROC indicator is still showing solid RED color. For proper functioning of PLC it should show GREEN color. Can you please help?

URGENT!

Thanks Jesper for all the answers!

I tried to investigate passwords in the offline projects but i did not find any. In the password and privelege configuration of my program class1 is the default class. When i try to put a new password through class login it is accepted but when i put the same password after downloading the program the password authentication get failed. Can you suggest an alternate solution?

Note: I am attaching a file with all the program relevant messages attached. It can be refered for better understanding.

The message "Download failed. Would you like to try Log into a different Access Class ?" does not make sense to me.
Logically it should ask you to login to a class already before you attempt to Download.

In RSLogix5 you can see what class you currently have in the lower right corner of the window.
You can also check Password and Privileges .. Channel Privileges tab .. Channel 0. Try to set it to RW for all classes.
And also check Password and Privileges .. Feature Privileges tab. Restore (Download) shout be allowed for all classes.
Then clear the PLC memory (remove battery and power off for 1 minute), and try to download again.

Jesper,

I followed all the aforementioned steps of your last post and tried to download again but result is still same i.e. "download command failed" and "Would you like to log in with different access class?" message popped up again. And in the lower right corner of the class is always class1. Can u suggest an alternate solution?

If you did everything including clearing the PLC before attempting another download, then I have exchausted my ideas.

Now, it is approx 8 years since I did my last serious work with PLC5, so maybe someone else can step in and try to some ideas. I cannot rule out that you just have to do some things in a certain order to get online, but I cannot immediately see it.

Last thing: Check your PM.