Plc's and me part ways

GHO III

Got the shaft from management and my supervisor. Had an integrator merge two projects together and in the process we later found out a database got corrupted. This stopped one dial out alarm system from seeing alarms(Winn 911). A second system a Sensaphone2000 was still in operation. I am just a beginner learning and doing minor system changes and was blamed for the whole mess that happened. The Superintendant claimed that i left everyone in the dark about no alarm system call outs (my supervisor knew)and that i made unauthorized changes(my supervisor knew). I recieved a disciplinary letter for refusing to participate further in the programming process(i'm just a maint. worker)The integrator after spending two days with Rockwell support fixed the problem. I was in his words not a part of the problem. The big kicker is that they still want me to work on their stuff because they dont have to pay me 150.00 an hour and my letter claimed that i was responsible for them having to spend more money to fix my mistakes. I am not a fool and will not do another extra thing for them especially with computers if i'm going to be the fall guy. Needless to say the union is helping me with this.
I should have had some disclaimer signed as they know that i am not an expert or a professional programmer. I was just starting to really get into ladder logic and enjoyed it.
What are some of the things that i should have done to protect myself?

not looking for sympathy just answers.

George

The single biggest mistake I keep making in this business is this; because I enjoy what I do I am always taking on new challenges or offering extra features beyond the client's expectations. If I pull it off everyone thinks I am wonderful, but if there is the slightest hitch, then guess whose **** gets booted.

Unfortunately most of the people we work for actually don't understand what we do, and this makes them a little paranoid about us. If anything goes wrong then they strike out at the softest target, the target they are already primed to go for....you. This is a good question because I can think of three maybe four projects I have done in the last five years or so where despite turning out an excellent job technically but the client relationship has soured over this kind of issue.

One was a large project which demanded a significant documentation effort on my part which was not in the scope, not in the budget, I didn't have the tools or training to do, and I had explicitly stated I was not available to do...but at the end of the day I was the scapegoat for not doing for free (4 weeks work!!!) for what the client had failed to budget for.

Another was a job dumped on me with great urgency, and verbally I was given unlimited scope. I delivered a small miracle and compeltely rebuilt in two weeks what originally had taken four months; but one tiny error, I mean one XIO in the wrong branch somewhere caused all kinds of irrational overreactions and led to the job being canned.

Another was a contract recently where I was asked to do 8 days work on a site. Arrived to find that the customer was expecting the whole job to be up and running perfectly in 3 days, and due to other mishaps, I only got 1 day!!. Actually managed a result in 1 1/2 days, but this wasn't good enough, and guess who gets the blame...grrr.

Looking back the common factor in all of these heartburns has been one key thing...a lack of a clear written scope and /or a lack of critical information BEFORE the project started.

The second thing that then usually confounds these projects is a lack of written accountability and reporting during the project phase. Unfortunately I find myself working late at nights these day churning out multipage documents purely as ****-cover. Few if any projects go to plan. And when something goes wrong I need to be able to show exactly why, and what I plan to do about it. And when I do have a success, it doesn't hurt to have it in writing.

Remember all these ****-kickers in our lives are all just responding to the same treatment from their bosses. If they can show their boss a piece of paper that makes them look they are in control of the situation then they tend hold back on the knee-jerk reactions. Remember they don't actually understand what we do, but a report on paper allows them to pretend they do.

Dont be a patsy. The disiplanary letter will go into your file ("permenient record"). Years latter you dont want to be passed up for a promotion due to this event. I would suggest that you respond with a carefully worded written rebuttial, and provide plenty of evidence that your supervisor was aware of the things that he/she was aware of. You might not make friends, but if your going to be a willing patsy you wont go anywhere anyway. Keep the tone of your letter professional, and objective. Dont accuse others of intentional wrongdoing, and stick to the facts. Regardless of how they respond to it, your letter will be in your personell file right where you want it for future reference.

My say...

change the work

Already much diffidence in the automation sector.
To the good and respect, it keeps frozen, hold it work, if writes the name in a contract of responsibility absence.

I don't get what the big snafu is if the integrator stated you weren't a part of the problem. Sounds like you are innocent. Company politics is a bummer, because it seems like you always loose. Blame always flows downhill.

George,

This is a tough situation, but if you can rise above it without leaving any bitterness, you will be a better man for it.

It has helped me to learn about the concept of "TEAMS" and who their members are. It always has a Spy that works in the midst and reports to the boss. It usually has a few Back-stabbers, Brown-nosers, Technical Gurus, and Social Climbers, plus several other types. Of course it has a Leader.

A team always has to have a Scapegoat to take the blame if something goes wrong. An example is that Presidents always surround themselves with all kind of advisors who can be made into Scapegoats at a moment's notice. Once a Scapegoat has been selected, there is not much he can do for THIS project. The louder a Scapegoat screams, the more guilty he sounds. For the next project (if he has not been sacrificed), a former Scapegoat knows to watch his back, not attempt tasks that are dangerous, document anything that might be questioned later, and save that information in some permenant file, and send copies to the boss.

Last edited:
Yes i definitally am going to put a letter in with this and the also grieving it through the union. My supervisor (brother-inlaw) kept everything to himself and promised things to his boss that were not realistic.

The project is only half finished with no trends,graphics finished or reporting set up. They are mad that it is going to cost them big time and it is not in the budget. They also decided to not send me to the next Rockwell class for rs500, they were not going to any way but sounded good for them.
I was supposed to be teaching my supervisor (lost cause) he didnt have a clue like the rest. They burnt the bridge before they got across.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions

George

Now you see why you should never work with family.

Regardless, move on, because there will always be other situations that will arise that will allow you to shine. The trick is, have many more of those than the situation you describe. I understand that this may not be your fault. The idea of documentation, with signatures is an excellent policy to have. I have 99.99% of the time been able to do things without adverse affects. I am lucky though. I have moved through the ranks with ease and have never really had a bad project, my own or others, that have had problems such as this. But I have garnered a great deal of experience with controls long before I moved into integration. I had involvement with many projects where others made mistakes and I had the benefit of learning what not to do. I also had other experience that allowed me to move into controls with ease.

I have, however, had relations sour with a client because of my superior not wanting to deal with a situation concerning budget and billing. They have long since forgiven me, but it was frustrating for me at the very least. It is a part of business, how you handle these type of situations will show your character. That is what people WILL remember in the end. If they think you have integrity, take responsibility for your actions, do not fall into the political games, any mistakes you may make will be looked over and they will trust you to make things right. This will get you very far in the business world. Trust me on this.

Good luck, keep a very professional tone with your rebuttal, do not cast any blame, simply state your case.

David

"Another was a contract recently where I was asked to do 8 days work on a site. Arrived to find that the customer was expecting the whole job to be up and running perfectly in 3 days, and due to other mishaps, I only got 1 day!!. Actually managed a result in 1 1/2 days, but this wasn't good enough, and guess who gets the blame...grrr."

Whenever you run into a situation similar to this, do not proceed until your management and the client/customer has a meeting of minds on the scope of the project and the length of time that is expected to be completed in. By proceeding, you've taken on the responsibility of satisfying the customer and have provided relief for others that goofed when they set up the job.

It takes a few years of getting burned but eventually you'll learn to recognize these situations when they show up and to get it cleared up before you become the scapegoat.

Last edited:
George

Seems to me that if you are in electrical work (maintenance etc etc) you need to get on top of PLCs and VFDs. They are not going to go away, are here to stay and you need to know about them. So you cannot do a PLC divorce.

You are still pretty sore and should be. Its OK to not feel too generous to them. DO NOT let that supervisor electrocute his dumb self. Your sister will never forgive you. Get a new supervisor if you can though - I would not trust that guy again - he sold you down the river.

Stay employed do not stomp out the door, do not let your anger and hurt cut your throat. You have a union you paid dues make them work for you. Go work somewhere else if you can.

I been there done that. Get letters from the guys who say it is not your fault.

I always felt that if I had to document every thing I did then I do not want to work there. Still feel that way but not sure that is right (smart thing to do)in this goofy society workforce.

Dan Bentler

Dear George,

Do you want to be a victim all your life?

Welcome to the world!

Be pro-active.

First evaluate your relative strength compare to your oponent.

Don't use magic thincking. Make a real evaluation.

Then decide what you want in your life.

If this situation just happened and you never saw it coming then you must question your judgement of the people around you.

Are you naive?

Plant work is often a jungle. If you can't stand it then get out of the kitchen... sort'a !!!

Read carefully elevmike's post.

Tell them all to go and get s*****d and go and work for yourself. Best thing I ever did and I was 59 when I did it.

No more brown noses, back stabbers and a**e lickers. If something goes wrong it is my fault. No one else to blame or answer to. It is absolutely great.

The only thing I miss is the interaction with other employees (particularly the 6' 4" women who play baseketball!!! Talk about legs!!!)

I have never been so busy in my life.

By the way, the 6' 4" basketball player now works for me a couple of days a month doing my books. Not enough!!! Need to get busier to afford her full time. 43 too, but the legs!!!

YES!!!!

DOM and proud of it. (Dirty old man).

I went throuh something pretty similar myself at work several months ago, albeit slightly different but still PLC related. I was working nights and one of our so-called programmers had fited a PLC to control a group of valves in a timed sequence from a single trigger signal, the cabinet had a TD200 operator interface but he didnt bother to set it up meaning the system had no adjustability. After being requested by several of our workers to make it adjustable I decided to get the laptop out and sit in the office and do it, took me approximately 5 hours but it was all working.

On the monday, I got called upstairs by the management and got accused of 'sitting on my **** playing games on my laptop for 5 hours and i was caught on CCTV'. Well, rather than sit back and take it I demanded to be shown the CCTV tape, and from the tape you could clearly see S7/Microwin running on the laptop as the camera was pointing directly at the laptop screen. Nonetheless they still tried to suspend me, so to prove a point I stomped upstairs will 5 witnesses to my actions and with union representation and also demanded they come down and inspect the equipment which was now working as it should. They had to drop the whole matter and now i've just recieved a pay-rise (I think in way of an appology). Proves a point though, dont let them push you around because if they get away with it once, they'l try again at some point.

I have had many times possibilities for that kind of situations.
When I used to work for OEM as a PLC & HMI programmer I was last person who worked with the machine before Final Acceptance Test.
All guys before me (purchase managers, mech. and el. desingners and assemblers) had a lot time for doing teir job. Finally my time reduced from 3 weeks to 1 week. So it meant up to 36h working days (finally you feel like drunk). But actually noone blamed me. During this time I rather enjoyed that and it was like a challenge. Also it gave me new definition for stress and how to handle that.
Anyway I think it was great time and I feel much tronger now.

So use any experince (also negative) for making yourself better and stronger.

Finaly I must add, that there is only 7 benefits companies and humans buy:
Quality
Cost
Delivery (these 3 are normally not enough as only 1 can be cheapest etc)
Perfomance
Functionality
Flexibility
Customer Relations

BR
Lauri

How tall are you Bob? If she's 6'4" and you're 5'6" I could see some advantages! Are you working on supply jobs for all the teammates as well? Get Busy!!!