Please Help Using One Shots

I wish
Terry Woods said:
TWControls said...
"I can neither confirm or deny the reading of the rest of your posts content"

TWControls must be somewhat involved in an MGD sorta thing.

Do ya get it now Bryan?

Terry Woods said:
Peter...
4 X 2?

Hmmm... it appears you have not read what it said...

Just as my final map indicates, and as I explained in the text... the final map monitors the status of FOUR elements!

because the Rules indicate that certain responses are dependent upon the status of the Output as well as the inputs... the map will track the state of four elements: Input-1, Input-2, Input-3 and OUT.
Yes, I saw that. Then why confuse the forum with your 4x2 k-map? You wasted one whole post that did nothing but confuse the issue. It is almost like you lost track of what you are doing or what the problem is or 'will be'.
I have to laugh.

So... try again Peter.
I am not trying at all. This is great entertainment. I am just pointing out things that don't look right. You have your 3 rules. Just make a K-map for that with out being so long winded.

Confused minds want to know.

Terry Woods said:
Do ya get it now Bryan?

Terry,

By now Bryan has graduated, has had two jobs programming plc’s, a son in the same class that his dad has once attended, wrote a paper or two on K-maps himself…so does he get it? he did once but he's lost it by now, have you read his other thread? :D

Don't get me wrong...keep it going, we are still learning

Peter...

As clearly indicated in the text, the purpose of the 4X2 map was to show that while (Input-1 ON & Input-2 ON & Input-3 ON) will indeed turn ON the Output, as specified by Rule #3, it is NOT necessary to KNOW the state of Input-3 if Input-1 and Input-2 are both ON.

Peter... I'm trying to explain this "Dynamic K-Map" concept to people that don't understand how the map is populated, interpreted, and then developed into code.

It is not enough to simply say... "Now, fill out the map based on the rules."

If any instructor did that while just introducing that very concept... he should be bounced.

I'm explaining this for those that DON'T understand... not for those that do.

Those that don't understand need to know WHY as well as HOW.

So where is the answer?

I can see why Ron doubts this can be done in 5 minutes when we have been waiting for 5 days. I would give up on using any technique that took this long.

One your mark, get set .... go! And Lancie1 is quick out of the blocks. Lancie 1 stares and thinks for a second and writes his first few rungs. Terry is still trying to define the problem and figure out the lines between the different cells in his k-map. Lancie1 is nearing the finish line, he just needs to check the his solution. Terry is has yet to generate and ladder, and Lancie1, the puzzle solver, wins hands down while Terry is still staring at his k-map.

Don't mind me. I am in the peanut gallery heckling on this one.

You crack me up Peter
Peter Nachtwey said:
I can see why Ron doubts this can be done in 5 minutes when we have been waiting for 5 days. I would give up on using any technique that took this long.

One your mark, get set .... go! And Lancie1 is quick out of the blocks. Lancie 1 stares and thinks for a second and writes his first few rungs. Terry is still trying to define the problem and figure out the lines between the different cells in his k-map. Lancie1 is nearing the finish line, he just needs to check the his solution. Terry is has yet to generate and ladder, and Lancie1, the puzzle solver, wins hands down while Terry is still staring at his k-map.

Don't mind me. I am in the peanut gallery heckling on this one.

I am out, just watching.

I gave up, it is too confusing trying to understand a K-map that is using an ambiguous reference as the source or attempting to write code for that reference.

Peter,

Thanks for the kudos. I feel confident that my solution is the proper solution for the problem as written in US common English. We all know that words can be interpreted differently by different people. They even have different meanings in differnt regions of the same country.

The problem with solutions to word problems are that they must FIRST start with an understanding of the meaning of the words. If the meaning is different, then the solution will be different, no matter if is is determined by Karnaugh maps or black magic.

I am still curious to know the official instructor's solution. Not that it will agree with mine, but I want to know his interpretation of "will be".

I know, I know, Terry, I am hung up on "will be". However, it is the key to understanding this problem, and I am sure that you will eventually arrive at that conclusion.

Oh come on Terry. Can't we stretch this out for one more week? It is good entertainment. I need something to keep me entertained until Friday