Please help with CPU 313C harware config.

Latzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've made a program for a 313C CPU with STEP7 LITE V3.0 SP2 and downloaded it to the PLC/Everything looks fine except the sad fact that I can't see any outputs and even the inputs are active on the PLC itself got 24v signal but in the program itself when I try to monitor it it will come up on the Monitor/Modify table as Bolean FALSE.Even though I can see the light on input let's say I0.1 is on.The same story with the outputs.I tried to toggle M bits in the program and brought up a few outputs but they are not giving any 24v out neither their indicator green comes up.In the step7 lite interface I have everything ok except that I have a missmatch between the online hardware and offline hardware config.A red circle comes on top of the green square just beside the hardware icon.Which is fair enough as when I configured the CPU type I couldn't find in the list of CPU's the one I have in the PLC cabinet.Namely I have a CPU 313C With DI24/DO16,AI5/AO2,COUNT but the one I have in the cabinet is a CPU 313C with DI8/DO16,AI5/AO2,COUNT. So the differenec is that DI8 and DI24 .Because on the hardware configuration under CPU tab I have 313C with DI24 instead of DI8 and I have no ideea how to update that library in the software I think I have a massive problem unless I get something wrong.Or maybe the PLC should work even if there is a slight missmatch in the hardware config??
Please help me out as I totally stopped with my project and have no ideea what to do.
Thanx

P.S. Perhaps STEP7 Lite is not meant to be used with the processor I have (Unfortunately I don't have the exact numbers written on the CPU) but looking through the progarmming interface under details tab on the hardware config window this is the only difference between the two.

For sure, the HW Config must match.

The 313C always has 24DI+16DO+5AI+2AO. There does not exist a version with 8DI+16DO+5AI+2AO.
Can you please specify the exact type number of the CPU.
There is also a 312C with 10DI+6DO and a 313C-2DP with 16DI+16DO.

Also, I dont know the dialog in STEP7 LITE so well, but you must be able to find somewhere what the error message (the red circle on top of the green square) means.

Hi Jesper ,

The error means hardware configuration error.The exact type of the CPU unfortunately I don't know but on the CPU itself I clearly remember (because this is the problem) that the following inof was clearly printed:

DI8/DO16
AI5/AO2
This is for sure.100%.There are other numbers on the CPU but unfortunately I cannot see those numbers until tomorrow.I have no access to the place where the PLC is.
My question is how can I update the list which comes up under the CPU tab on the hardware configuration section??
What I know from the customer is that they have bought previously a PLC with this CPU and have the exact same problem with it.The guy who managed to sort it out after a good few days and countless phone calls to Siemens is unreachable so I have to sort this out myself.The only other small problem would be that I am an Allen Bradley,GeFanuc,Omron guy I had very little to do with Siemens.However I must admit that I like it so far I just have to aquire more knowledge how to get around problems like this.
So DI8/DO16 printed in withe small letters on the Input section terminal cover door of the PLC.

What is the type number ?
i.e. 6ES7313-5BF03-0AB0 for the latest version 313C.

I believe there are two doors over the terminals, because there are two 40-point detachable terminal blocks. So what you read is possibly for one of the terminal blocks. The remaining i/o is on the other terminal block.

Correct

Hi Jesper,

That is correct the numbers are on the terminal block doors The numbers I can't check until tomorrow unfortunately.But it is definitely DI8 and because there is no such a CPU in the STEP7 LITE list I cannot configure properly the offline file so when I download I have the HW error therefore no iput/output.I wrote those numbers down but I think I lost the paper.Question would be if there is a way to add up that CPU to the list.If you are familiar with Allen Bradley the equivalent would be to register an EDS file.Same sort of thing.But I don't know how.

Latzi said:
DI8/DO16
AI5/AO2
This is for sure.100%.

Latzi said:
But it is definitely DI8 and because there is no such a CPU in the STEP7 LITE list I cannot configure properly the offline file so when I download I have the HW error therefore no iput/output.

You are very sure, huh ?
Well, I am on my side 100% sure that "313C" means 24DI+16DO+5AI+2AO.
There does not exist a 313C with 8DI+16DO+5AI+2AO

Look in chapter 7.6:
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/12996906

Hello gentlemen;

There is an easy way to resolve this issue, once Latzi goes to site.
On the right side of all Siemens modules you will find a nameplate showing the part number, revision and manufacturing code for the module; it is standard for all Siemens automation products.
Once we have that information we will know for sure what CPU Latzi is working with. And we can then determine if Step 7 Lite has such a processor in its hardware catalog.
Later,
Daniel Chartier

Absolutely sure

Again I say and tomorrow I'll make a picture and also give all part numbers and everything we need.But it is DI8.You'll see.And it is not in the hardware configuration list.If it would of been there I would of been able to add it up to the config and no more errors.
But I still don't know if that list can be updated at all?
the hardware list in the hardware configuration.

For the S7-313C (no 2DP, no ptp) you will have 24DI, 16DO, 5AI, 2AO.

BUT:

The lil doors/covers/whatever the name, are a bit misleading:

- First door/cover/... says: DI8xDC24V, AI5/AO2x12Bit
- Second door/cover/....sayd: DI16/DO16xDC24V

Sooooo, if you just skimmed the doors/covers/..... then you would think it has only 8DI.

P_ST70_XX_00957V.png

Closest pic I could find, squint the eyes and read....:D

This is what is printed over the left door (X11):
"DI8xDC24V
AI5/AO2x12Bit"

This is what is printed over the right door (X12):
"DI16/DO16xDC24V"

There are 24 LEDs for the inputs and 16 LEDs for the outputs.

And on the inside of the doors, there are small diagrams showing exactly all the inputs and outputs and how to wire them.

Care for a wager ? :)

oy ! ya beat me to it Jeebs

Last edited:
Gents,

That is exactly the one!! This is what I am talking about.So where is my mistake then??? Which CPU I should choose from the list.I don't have to say that I've chosen all 3 I have in the list and when I download I've got the red circle on top of the green square saying Hardware configuration error.So I can't interact with the I/O.Any ideead pls????I don't really understand now what is the CPU?DI8?DI16?DI24?
Thanx

You need to go by the number on the bottom left of the PLC.

Something like "313-5BH00-0AB0"

When you highlight you PLC in the hardware catalog you'll see the part number underneath. Make sure they match.

Next, lift up the flap that the number is written on and you'll see a version number. Something like v2.0.0

Check if you have different versions in your hardware config, if you do pick the right one. (sometimes these don't matter).

If you don't have the PLC in your hardware config you need to either get hold of the .gsd / .gse files and update your hardware catalog (Hardware Config - Options - Update HW Catalog ... I think). Or you can go online and get it to update...

I've never used S7 Lite but the procedure should be along those lines...

:)

Latzi. Some of the DI is in terminal block X11 (DI8) and the rest is in terminal block X12 (DI16). Therefore you have 8+16=24 inputs.

I think you cannot update the hardware catalog in STEP7 LITE.
However, an earlier version of 313C will probably work OK.
And that said, I think you have all 3 possible variants, because I have 3 variants in my hardware catalog.
6ES7 313-5BF00-0AB0
6ES7 313-5BF01-0AB0
6ES7 313-5BF03-0AB0 (firmware 2.0 and 2.6, but that does not matter).

Now, as to what goes wrong, investigate the daignostics buffer in the PLC. Try to save the diagnostics buffer as a text file, and post it here.

Check the address allocation

Latzi,

To answer your original query - in HW Config, do you get an option for Option\Update Catalogue. This is what you will want to update your HW profiles.

Another thought: simple thing to check - check the I/O addresses, you might get an SF error if you are accessing an address out of range. Make sure your I and Q registers in hardware configuration match addresses you are trying to alocate.

HardwareConfiguration.JPG

In this example I would have to address the first input as I4.0.