Please share some guidance : Installing VFD on PIMMs

Hi guys,;)

Ajsimione, from your experience, can adding only a VFD to an old PIMM be justified on the purpose of electricity saving?

Thanks a lot.:ROFLMAO:

Without knowing your machine and processing specifics I cannot give you a reasonable answer. However, I will comment on a general trend that I've seen in the industry with pure hydraulic machines. On anything less than a 500 ton press I rarely see a VFD pump motor. Typically on anything over 1000 ton it is available as an option. On smaller machines the cycle times are just to short to realize any appreciable savings versus extra cost and complexity.

You seem to be in a position where you are looking for cost savings? If I were you I would start by making sure that all my tools are running as efficiently as possible. Having properly made tooling for the plastic being run in it will go a long way towards optimizing your ability to run your processes effectively. I would spend my time evaluating my tool design and processing parameters. There are many good resources available(internet, books, schools, etc.) for learning about the injection molding process.

Here is my short list of top tooling/processing gothchas:
mold temperature, cooling time/profile, cavity venting, gate, runner, and sprue sizing, filling profile, moisture content of plastic, residence time in the barrel, machine preventative maintenance. I could go on and on and...

Side Note: Thank you to all the great people on this forum. I have spent many hours here getting almost all of my questions answered by previous posts/resource listings. I'm trying to give a little bit back instead of taking all the time. 🍺