Please suggest a suitable cheap PLC for this application

But its more expensive than the click PLC. My application needs only a RS485/RS232 port (apart from programming port).

How is the click series PLC quality and reliability ?? Are they prone to failure ?? I know this depends on many things and that even good ones can fail, but in general how reliable are they ??

I am bit worried about the 100USD price, as it looks a bit cheap for a supposedly high quality product.

thanks
a

I was thinking of using it in our main stream products, so

I have about 25 of them on various machines with no failures.

Hi,

Is there any cheap PLC (less than 100 USD) that has 4 digital inputs/outputs (not relays), RS 485 communication, ethernet port (if possible) and software for programming ??

something like these look OK.
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...Series_PLCs_(Stackable_Micro_Brick)/PLC_Units

the digital I/O module is given below.
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc..._Series_PLCs_(Stackable_Micro_Brick)/DC_I-z-O

The project I am working on is a motion control system for controlling a stepper motor and using limit switch inputs.

Are there any other such PLCs ???

Are rockwell products expensive compared to the one above, what about the Pico series ??

thanks
a
The Pico series is going away, it has been replaced by the Micro800. A Micro810 is less than $100 (here in the US anyway), but does not have Ethernet. The Micro820 has Ethernet, but is more than $100 (about $250). The Micro850 has Ethernet and also supports Motion commands, it would be around $500. Software for them all is free.

I haven't had a chance to try one of these yet but they look quite interesting: http://velocio.net/
And inexpensive as well.

The cost does not include terminals, also the RS232 version is expensive compared to the DL05, however it is quite compact.

The Pico series is going away, it has been replaced by the Micro800. A Micro810 is less than $100 (here in the US anyway), but does not have Ethernet. The Micro820 has Ethernet, but is more than $100 (about $250). The Micro850 has Ethernet and also supports Motion commands, it would be around $500. Software for them all is free.

The Micro820 does not support PTO required for stepper motors, but Micro830 does have PTO. Just for my info where do you usually buy these PLCs from, online site or directly from Rockwell agent ??

thanks anyway
a

Last edited:
Siemens Logo could possibly do it.
It has ethernet onboard and a small display and a few buttons. No RS485, but why need that when you have ethernet ?
It comes in around 90-100 € for the base unit.
edit: There are variants without display or buttons, and it comes at around 70-80 €.

On the net I can find some entries from people who have made some stepper solutions with Logo.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with Siemens Logo.

Last edited: