PointIO weird issue

BeepBob

Hello all,

I Have a PointIO module with 2 input cards. The Revision is 6.013 and it is connected to a ControlLogix running version 24.11

The PointIO is good on the IO tree, in run mode, module identity matched, configured, no faults, and it is owned.

The physical PointIO module in the field indicates bit 3,9, and 10 is active. The Led indicator on the module is lit for those bit.

The issue is: I cannot see the bits when I go online with the PLC, and I do not see an apparent connection issue between the PLC and the PointIO module. I do not see any issue for that matter.

Anything I missed?

P.S I had the tech jumper 24v into a slot and it still doesn't register on the PLC.

Last edited:
TechConnect is stumped too....

I see the input cards on the PointIO bus in RsLinx....

No IP address mismatch

forcing a bit to write a 1 to one input tag works good

I'm out of ideas....Anyone see this happen with PointIO?

Expand the point:data: etc for where you expect to see a 1 high, and post a screenshot.

It's been a while since I touched Point, and I sold all my spares, to give you the exact path

Expand the point:data: etc for where you expect to see a 1 high, and post a screenshot.

It's been a while since I touched Point, and I sold all my spares, to give you the exact path

Expecting to see a "1" on slot 2, bit 0 and 2

cap3.jpg

Last edited:
Another thing I notice, on the EN2T module, it keeps on reverting to half-duplex speed (in module configuration in RSLINX). I can manually set it to full-duplex....but this shouldnt be an issue right?

I have another ControlLogix, same everything, but with 3 PointIO module connected to it, and it works fine...the thing is , the EN2T module on this ControlLogix is full-duplex by default , by auto-negotiating..

Is this related?

Are you sure the AENT (or AENTR) is configured for a rack size of three? What do you see from GSV EntryStatus from the AENT and from each module?

The physical PointIO module in the field indicates bit 3,9, and 10 is active. The Led indicator on the module is lit for those bit.
This bit is raising a flag for me. What do you mean by bits 3, 9, and 10? I've never seen a Point I/O module with more than 8 inputs or outputs on it.

A screenshot of the I/O rack in your ethernet tree, a screenshot of the connection tab in the I/O rack's ethernet adaptor properties, and a picture of the physical rack will probably give us more to go on.

One thought: is it possible that the rack you're looking at in the PLC is notin fact the same rack you're looking at in the field? Could there be another rack out there that you're actually connected to?

This bit is raising a flag for me. What do you mean by bits 3, 9, and 10? I've never seen a Point I/O module with more than 8 inputs or outputs on it.

A screenshot of the I/O rack in your ethernet tree, a screenshot of the connection tab in the I/O rack's ethernet adaptor properties, and a picture of the physical rack will probably give us more to go on.

One thought: is it possible that the rack you're looking at in the PLC is notin fact the same rack you're looking at in the field? Could there be another rack out there that you're actually connected to?

sorry i meant i have 2 input cards, 8 slot eacg, i refered to bit 0 on card 2 as bit 9, my mistake

All 6 PointIO connected to this ControlLogix, through a half duplex E2NT card, are not reporting live bits in the field.

Last edited:
Got it. Just to be even more pedantic, by that logic, input 0 on card 2 would be bit 8, not 9 ;)

Anyhow, without some more screenshots or other detail we're all just guessing from here.

Are you sure the AENT (or AENTR) is configured for a rack size of three? What do you see from GSV EntryStatus from the AENT and from each module?

Yeah chassis size is 3, there is no error on the IO tree on the controller, as far as the GSV, i gotta grab that

Without getting too deep into the history of Logix and various I/O platforms, I think you're looking at the Adapter's own .Data elements, which aren't updated with actual values.

Make sure you have POINT modules actually identified in the Adapter configuration, and look at the tags created for those modules, which will have a Slot number associated with them.

In the IO tree, right-click on the AENT, select properties, and check out the chassis size tab. It should show that chassis size from general tab and the chassis size in the actual module are both three.

Edit: to expand on Ken's post, if you have the modules defined in the IO tree, your tags will probably look like SH28:1:I as an alias for SH28:I.Data[1] and SH28:2:I as an alias for SH28:I.Data[2]. I did a quick test in V32. I was able to add a 1734-AENT with rack size three and not add the two modules. It verified without warning or alarm. The alias tags weren’t created. I didn’t download to see it in action.

Last edited:
In the IO tree, right-click on the AENT, select properties, and check out the chassis size tab. It should show that chassis size from general tab and the chassis size in the actual module are both three.

Edit: to expand on Ken's post, if you have the modules defined in the IO tree, your tags will probably look like SH28:1:I as an alias for SH28:I.Data[1] and SH28:2:I as an alias for SH28:I.Data[2]. I did a quick test in V32. I was able to add a 1734-AENT with rack size three and not add the two modules. It verified without warning or alarm. The alias tags weren’t created. I didn’t download to see it in action.

Hello, I've added some screen shot. The SH28:I is a alias for AB:1734_3SLOT:I:0 , which is the Point IO module

size.jpg type.jpg io.jpg info.jpg linx.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t think you have the modules defined in the IO tree. SH28I is data type AB:1734_3SLOT:I:0, not an alias for it. In the IO tree you should see that as a PointIO 3 Slot Chassis. Right click on that, select add module, and add an input module. Repeat for the other module.

There's nothing mysterious here: the missing step is defining those 1734-IB8 modules in the Studio 5000 I/O tree.

You can choose to make a Direct connection, or a Rack Optimized connection that updates at the same time as all the other discrete modules in that POINT Adapter.

But you have to insert those module objects in Studio 5000 in order to get tags whose values actually correspond to the input terminals.

The tags will be of the format "SH20:1:I.x" and "SH20:2:I.x, not the POINT chassis placeholder tag "SH20:I.Data[0].x" and "SH20:I.Data[1].x"

Why Logix 5000 makes those placeholder tags for the POINT module at all, I do not know. It's been a nuisance for as long as Rack Optimization has existed for remote chassis on ControlNet or EtherNet/IP (1998 or so).

POINTModules.PNG