Possible to use PLC to stop employees from stealing

@rootboy: those kids just keep getting smarter all the time aren't they. I have a 1 yr old daughter...and mate I tell you they're getting to be real manipulative...even before they can speak their mind.

@ALL: The main reason I don't focus on better PC/network based security is I'm considering converting to a Xbox/PS3 LAN gaming center.

Considering the switch to consoles, I could not have worded it better than PeterW: What I EXACTLY need is "software to log who enables a power point (this should only be done with a password) and logs the time each point is enabled, which should correspond with the above logging."

----

I've been looking at X10/A10, courtesy of rootboy, and they seem very promising. In fact they seem to be the solution. Wire the 40 game consoles to a bank of switchable power outlets controlled by a timer, each monitored by a X/A10 transmitter. In its most basic incarnation, my staff would physically turn on the timer for a customer for x hours/minutes, then the X10 device will send its on/off status to a PC to be monitored.

Question: most X/A10 websites talk about the hardware but they don't seem to have detailed software monitoring features, as they are for home use. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this? Is such monitoring even possible with X/A10 devices?

Monthly, I will reconcile the up/downtime data with how many hours of gametime was sold and I should be good. If this doesn't match...they had better have a good explanation!

Golly! If we can find the right monitoring software, we might have something here guys!

Last edited:
Seems like I seen one a while back designed specifically to keep people honest, I think that it was a S&W Model 357, there was a lite version, model "BFH". Or maybe this was not a PLC?

Seems like I seen one a while back designed specifically to keep people honest, I think that it was a S&W Model 357, there was a lite version, model "BFH". Or maybe this was not a PLC?

Unfortunately, malmal is in Australia. Last I knew, the S&W was banned.