Posting RA activations on a server

If the activations (I must be careful not to say license), are hosted by your machine, they need to be rehosted to the Rockwell website, then reacquired with a new host ID for the machine on which they will ultimately reside.

You can move them all you want but they only "activate" when they reside on the machine where the original Host ID was generated. You can then simply copy or move them to any folder/path on that machine and change the search path within that machine's FTAM settings.

You can not move them to another machine and have them still work, since the Host ID will not match that machine.

Ues Rockwell Help to walk you through it. Their support for activations has always been very good and prompt for me.

I will, but first I need the IT guy to get a hold of me so he can get FTAM on the server, the drives I have access to are logical drives, so I would need him to do the hosting orgive me access to do the hosting. Also make sure FTAM (from the users computers) will not be blocked from looking for the activations.

Frankly I prefer he does the work on the server with me there, that way he can't blame some stupid issue that may pop up on the fact I did something to break his server.

Also, you may need to have (at least temporary) access to the internet from the server. You can do it without internet access, it just means a few more steps.

I have read through that procedure, however I know he can get internet access from the server, I am not even sure where our server is located actually. I know it is in the building. I think it is up on that one mezzanine but I never cared enough to look for it, I am not allowed to touch it.

Hopefully when we start networking the automation I can convince them to spend the little bit extra to get our own hardware, I would really rather not VLAN it through the companies server.

Let the IT guys handle how to route traffic to the www if you end up going down that road, and try to handle PLC networks separately. Let "them" own the connection and configuration to the "office" networks too. There will be some overlap, but the more clear distinction you have between "ours" and "theirs" the better. You want managed switches to protect "theirs" from "yours" and you want to own your own switches and cables for the controls systems.

Some places have IT depts that fully understand and are very helpful, other places not so much. It is like most engineering: 90% politics, 10% technical.

That is why I want my own hardware, if it connects to the companies server it is one wire transmitting data for monitoring on PC's

That is my hope anyway, but trying to convince them to spend a little extra money up front to save headache and work in the long run can be tricky