power flex 700 - 20BD034A0AYNAND0

urvinder_pal

hello,

This being the first time i am working on communication with a power flex 700 thro a 20-COMM-E adapter mounted on the drive. Pl guide me thro the necessary steps that i need to go thro if i want to upload the parameters from the drive. How and what should i configure in Rs linx and/ or BOOTP.Do i need a ethernet( cross wire cable or straight thro cable)
I can recall that earlier the IP address for the power 20-COMM-E was set by a field technician thro the LCD and he did not use the BOOTP. He was not very helpful anyhow.

thanks to all

kanwar

Last edited:
The easiest way to configure (or determine) the IP address of a 20-COMM-E adapter is by using the LCD HIM module. Start by selecting the "Device Select" feature to allow the HIM module to access the 20-COMM-E, and you will see that the IP address is the first few parameters in that device.

The 20-COMM-E user manual can be downloaded from the Rockwell Automation literature website:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/20comm-um010_-en-p.pdf

Ask around your workplace for help with Ethernet basics like "do I need a crossover cable" or "how do I set the IP address of my computer". Use simple tools like PING to verify that your computer and the 20-COMM-E can communicate before trying to configure RSLinx Classic.

Either the "Ethernet Devices" or the "EtherNet/IP" driver in RSLinx Classic will work with the PowerFlex 700 and 20-COMM-E. In the Ethernet Devices driver, you need to enter the IP address of the 20-COMM-E in the Station table. For the EtherNet/IP driver, you need to make sure that your PC's firewall allows responses to broadcast messages on Ethernet and the drive will be discovered automatically.

You need either Drive Explorer or Drive Executive software to "upload parameters" from the drive. Drive Executive can be run standalone, or embedded into RSLogix 5000 versions 16 and higher.

THANKS EDDIE,

FROM THE LCD HIM I ENTERED THE FOLLOWING:

IP ADDRESS 10:136:4:199
SUBNET 255:255:254:0

THE NET A LED IS FLASHING BUT NOT SOLID GREEN.EDDIE THIS MAY BE TOO INTRODUCTORY BUT WITHOUT USING THE BOOP SERVER CAN YOU LET ME KNOW WHAT CONFIGURATION SHOULD THE RSLINX HAVE. i MANUALLY SET THE LOCAL NETWORK ADDRESS OF MY LAPTOP TO 10: 136:4:198.DUE TO MY SHIFT SCHEDULE IT IS HARD TO GET HELP IN THOSE HOURS WHEN I WORK. i APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.

REGARDS
KANWAR

If you are using a static IP address make sure you disable BootP. I didn't do this on one of my drives and after a power failure I needed to come in as it looked for the BootP server instead of using the static IP I had given it.

yes the BOOTP is disabled. What is to be done next. As i did enter a static IP addres for the 20 - COMM -E (10:136:4:199 and subnet mask 255:255:254:0) i entered 10:36:4:198 and same subnet mask for my laptop. I just cant recall what is to be done next in RSlinx so that i can see the drive in RSWho. Also where is the Mac address of the 20 - COMM - E to be entered. This is a very basic question and i do thank all for the help.

kanwar

In Linx, Click on driver,right click,properties.Enter drive IP.You should have entered subset in HIM or bootp, depending on your method.Remember your PC subset must have same subnet. Did u ping? If all good enter drive ip in linx prop. and u should be able to see device.