Powerflex 40 with profibus card to step7 siemens

RodV

Hi All

I have an Allen Bradley Powerflex 40 with a 22-COMM-P Profibus communication card. I want to communicate the drive with Siemens Step 7 but I have no idea about Siemens systems. I have the GSD file installed in the PC, the node number but for some reason is not communicating.
Does anybody did this before who can give me some tips I should consider to start with please?
Thanks a lot
Rodrigo

You have to add the PF40 in the HW Configuration of the S7 PLC.
Post a screenshot from your HW Configuration.

Also, there must be a manual for the 22-COMM-P card.
Have you read this ?
Is there any chapter on how to set it up ?

In chapter 3 is described how to setup the PF40 and 20-COMM-P card.
Did you follow that ?

In chapter 4 is described how to setup the SST DP master card. To setup an S7 PLC is much the same principle. Have you done that ?
Post a screenshot from S7 HW configuration.

Screen

Here is the screen, we can get some information from de drive like when is running, accelerating, decelerating, at reference and the speed reference in hex but we are still unable to make it start or give instructions from the plc to the drive

IMG_20121018_163629.jpg

From the above we can conclude that you have a connection between the S7 and the PF40. It seems that you miss setting up the PF40 to follow the commands over the Profibus module. Did you follow the manual ? (this is the 3rd time I ask this).

This is a pretty common issue with commissioning new PowerFlex VFDs.
By default, the on-board digital inputs DigIn Sel A051 through A054 and the Basic Parameters P036 (Start Source) and P038 (Speed Reference)
( http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/22b-um001_-en-e.pdf)
are pre-selected for hard wiring control.
Since you are probably intending to run the drive strictly via communications (20-COMM-P) these (P036, P038 and A051 through A054)will have to be set according to your application's requirements ("5" for P036 and P038 and "6" for A051 through A054.

Last edited:
Thanks guys

I followed the manual but probably missed something like parameters A051 through A054.
English is not my first language so I´m doing the best I can.

Thanks again I will keep you posted.

Parameters A051 through A054

dmargineau

thanks for your help.

I changed parameter A051 to "6" but I can´t change the next parameters (A052 through A054), it sends me an error message. Should I just set them to "not used"? or there is a problem?

I hope you can help me

dmargineau

thanks for your help.

I changed parameter A051 to "6" but I can´t change the next parameters (A052 through A054), it sends me an error message. Should I just set them to "not used"? or there is a problem?

I hope you can help me

Yes. If you are not intending to use one (or any) on-board digital inputs within your application, you will have to set the corresponding parameter to "Not Used".
Don't worry about it...We've all been there...I wish THEY will default all the I/O related parameters to "Not Used", letting the user to choose what needed...Oh well...:rolleyes: