Powerflex 525 Control Voltage

You should be able to power up off of 120 on the L1-L2 inputs. That’s how I would validate faceplate development on my desk back when I actually got to do the fun stuff. I can’t recall if it was only the 208 drives or the 480 also. I ran both. Keep in mind you will get a phase loss alarm and bus undervoltage alarm but both those can be bypassed/avoided for comms setup situations. There’s a tech note on the knowledgebase but I’ve lost track of it by now.

Thanks for the suggestion- unfortunately this drive does not accept single phase input, this was my second idea.

I guess I need to clarify my statement on operating from 120v. I was certainly aware that we were referring to a three phase input drive. You can absolutely power a three phase drive with single phase 120v for the purposes of bench testing communication, control, etc. It sounds like this would satisfy the OP’s need. Trchnote below. Again, this is something I would do when developing applications at my desk.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/516312

Again, the 520 (and all Rockwell drives for that matter) do NOT have direct phase loss detection, so you can feed any drive with single phase power. the only way it knows if a phase is lost is if the DC bus ripple becomes excessive, which will only happen under load from a motor. So if the motor is less than 30% loaded and an incoming phase is missing, the VFD will not even know or care. That's why you can power it up from a small single phase source.

The voltage must be at least 50% of the rated voltage however, so using 120V directly as the input will only work on a 240V drive and even then it's a bit iffy. The "official" DC bus Under Voltage Trip for a 200-240V drive is 170VDC, which equates to 120.6V, so IF your 120V is really 115V, it may not work. A 480V drive needs 390VDC on the bus, equivalent to 276VAC, so even 240V is not going to cut it there. But as I said, you can just get a little 25 or 50VA Control Power Transformer and back-feed it; put 120V on the LV terminals and get 480V (or 240V) on the other side, then connect that to any two terminals of the VFD.

Thanks for the replies. I have attached the catalog info below.

Cat No: 25B-D1P4N104

Input: 3 Phase 380-480V, 47-63Hz

There are indeed some variants that can be powered from a single phase.

However reading the tech note now: it does seem to mention that it can be done (connecting to Poles L1 and L2)

Regards

Daniel

Last edited: