Powerflex 525 getting random F059 Faults

Lunatech

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Everyone,
I have an application using a 525 on ethernet and the safe torque off wired through an Allen Bradley CAT3 Safety Circuit. The S+, S1 and S2 are wired through a 330P output module. I keep getting random F059 Faults, but the 330P output module is not dropping out. There seems to be very little documentation on this fault. Has anyone seen similar problems with this drive/fault? Any help much appreciated!

Be sure you ave a good connection to the 0vdc side of your 24VDC power supply to the drive. Terminal 4 should be connected to 0VDC. This has solved similar problems I have had with the PF525s in the past.

What I have found when using the PF525, I sent a Reset Fault through EthernetIP when the Safe Off was tripped. There is no automatic fault reset for this. You can wire in a fault reset push button or reset from the face of the VFD.

I use the EthernetIP to monitor the VFD and initialize when first powering up and recovering from an E-Stop condition. I use messages to send a Stop to the VFD then Clear Faults when the E-Stop condition has been removed.

When the safety is dropped out on S1 and S2, the default is to throw up that fault.

You can set T105 to 1 (Safety Open En) and it will stop giving that as a fault. So whenever you e-stop the machine (or remove 24V from the safety terminals) it will no longer give you a F059 fault.

Thanks RoboBob, I set T105 to 1 and within a few minutes got an F114 fault, but I think I may have caused the microprocessor fault in the way I changed the parameter. I think I will install the factory jumper across the S+, S1 and S2 terminals to isolate the safety relay circuit. If I still get F059, it is most certainly internal to the drive.

Thanks RoboBob, The only physical wiring on this drive other than power conductors is a jumper from 1-11, 3 safe off connections and relay R5 and R6. All other controls are communicated across ethernet.

Thanks Swimmy67,
That's a good idea to issue a stop / clear fault after an E-Stop condition. We are using an AOI for drive control, might be worth incorporating that message instruction into it.

Has anyone found a solution to this? I've added the jumper back to the PF525s (between S+, S1, and S2) and the F059 faults are still occuring at random. Do I need to flash new firmware? They are running v5 right now.

Thank in advance.

Be sure you ave a good connection to the 0vdc side of your 24VDC power supply to the drive. Terminal 4 should be connected to 0VDC. This has solved similar problems I have had with the PF525s in the past.

This!

The last time I used some 525's I had a lot of problems with the safe torque off faults and resetting the drives. Once I hooked that common up and set the 105 and 106 parameters life was good.

Kurtz- do you have a 0V connection to pin 4?

Hey Blue,

That's actually the first thing I checked. Pin 4 has a 0VDC connection.
Turns out our logic was dropping out the start signal to the drive, due to a bouncing input. We put in a debounce timer, and everything is good now.

Thanks so much!

For future reference, and to elaborate on Swimmy67's good advice, it is advisable to monitor the STO contact status bit via datalinks and once the drive's Safety Function is reset you can then issue a Clear Fault command via the Logic Command word...

559213 - PowerFlex 525: Disabling Parameter T105 [Safety Open En] / F059 Does Not Disable Safety Circuit
Access Level: Everyone

Of course, this is more useful when you are actually using the STO feature. Leaving the STO contact looped out is best when not being used.

Regards,
George