PowerFlex 525 - How to begin setting up for a Open Loop Vector Control application

Good Afternoon ,

I am getting ready to refurbish 2 machines . It will have 3 SEW gearmotors on each machine. I would like to keep the selected speed very consistant with what speed is selected. I was going to use encoders , but to reduce cost , I was thinking of going with the option that was discussed on an earlier thread , Open Loop Vector Control. What I would like to do is have the operator select recipes of products they run . In these recipes , will be the speed that these 3 motors run in RPM. In the Compactlogix I will figure out what speed the motors will run according to the RPM setting.

My question is , other than using encoders , what is the best way to keep a constant speed on these motors. I imagine there is alot of factors that cause a motor to slow down and speed up , correct ? If I would go with the Open Loop Vector Control , how would I start setting that up. I imagine Autotuning would be a start , correct ? I tried to find some technotes , but really only found brochures concening the PowerFlex 525 and it's options.

Would you folks have any infornation that will point me in the right direction. Also , if you believe I am approaching this the wrong way , let me know.

Thanks so much in advance.

To get the most accurate speed control without adding an encoder, use the rotating autotune. So you go to parameter P040 and and set it to "2" for "Static + rotating autotune" and give it a Run command. It will perform the static tune first, then follow it up with a rotating tune. So make sure it is safe to run the machine at full speed and if not, uncouple the load from the motor.

Semantics note: there is no "Open Loop Vector Control" in a PF525, only Sensorless Vector Control (SVC) or Flux Vector Control (FVC), with an encoder. SVC will give you speed accuracy of up to 0.5%, Flux Vector Control with an encoder will get you 0.1% accuracy.

There is a difference between SVC and Open Loop Flux Vector Control, which is only available in the PF750 series. Open Loop FVC with a PF750 can be 0.001% accurate, so it's a matter of how accurate you need it to be.