Powerflex 525 noobie help

kevinksdroid

We have a 525 vfd that works without a PLC and just with field inputs. The speed reference is set with the help of embedded pot. Is it possible to change the speed reference alone to ethernet ip? Say using ccw so that if anyone messes with the pot the vfd speed remains unchanged.

You won't be able to set it to Ethernet/IP, because unless you have a PLC actually writing a speed reference to it over Ethernet/IP, it won't run (well, it will run, but at zero speed).

Will has pointed you to the right parameter (P047) - but don't set it to Ethernet/IP, set it to Preset Freq. Then set parameter A410 to your desired preset speed (refer to page 115 of the same manual)

Thank you, after going through the manual I am planning to take out ethernetip.. If I set P047 to 2 (keypad) and P044 to my maximum frequency, doesn't that mean that the vfd will be working by itself?

Yes, you can also set P047 to Keypad Frequency - in that case, you need to set parameter A426 (keypad freq) to your desired speed. Refer to page 116 of the manual. This is probably better than using preset frequency, as if you are using preset frequency you also have to make sure that nothing changes from your configured preset frequency 0 to one of the other preset frequencies (e.g. a digital input)

Thank you both.. I believe I could sort it out. I have implemented a combination of both. Frequency will be taken from keypad and if any faults occur then from HMI we get to clear it. (through plc) now that I think about it, frequency could also have been set through plc.