Powerflex 525 not receiving speed value

duncrock

Hello,

We are using a CIP(Clean in Place) system with a powerflex 525 to run its pump. We are able to see the VFD through ethernet, its Enet light is solid green, and the Link light is a flashing green. Our issue is that when we send it a speed reference through our PLC the VFD does not actually "see" it. The VFD never starts up, and it just displays 0Hz on its screen. The safety pins of the VFD are all jumpered together, pin 11 is jumpered to pin 2, and pins 1 and 3 are jumpered together. I am wondering if it has something to do with the parameter values, or the way it is currently wired.

Thanks for the help.

Are you assuming that the drive doesn't "see it" because it's not driving to the command speed, or have you verified the drive parameter is changing when you send the speed value?

First place to check is to make sure that your start source and speed references are set to Ethernet. P046 and P047. What kind of PLC are you using?

Jumper pins 1 and 11. Remove the other jumper.

These come default with a yellow jumper wire from pin 1 to pin 11.

Something interesting to add is that when we remove the jumper from 1 to 3 and 11 to 2 and only jumper 11 to 1 everything works properly. The VFD is able to receive values from the PLC. The only issue with that is our e stop button does not work in that configuration. This leads me to believe its a wiring or parameter issue.

1707004815287.png

Does 1 always need to see 24V? and what exactly does pin 3 do? I read that it allows for the drive to run in reverse, but is that only when it also sees 24V?

1707005351878.png

On a powerflex 525 pin 1 is the stop pin. For the drive to run there must be power to pin 1. Pin 11 is the +24v out so jumping the pins lets the drive run. Pins 2 though 8 are selectable in the parameters, default is for pin 2 to be start when power is applied.

Ok thanks. Im in communication with the people we bought the skid from. Ill try and figure out what they were attempting to accomplish with the wiring. But it definitely seems that is currently the issue. Thanks everyone for the reply!

On a powerflex 525 pin 1 is the stop pin. For the drive to run there must be power to pin 1. Pin 11 is the +24v out so jumping the pins lets the drive run. Pins 2 though 8 are selectable in the parameters, default is for pin 2 to be start when power is applied.

Which parameters select pins 2 through 8? and would there be a way to have them send out 24V?

Parameters 62 thru 68 are for selecting input terminal functions. The terminals are inputs they will not provide +24vdc.

With pin 1 just jumpered to pin 3, I don't know how it ran at all. Is this a new machine that's never been tested? You mentioned an e-stop...how is it wired in? If they're using normal inputs, I'd be really annoyed...

With pin 1 just jumpered to pin 3, I don't know how it ran at all. Is this a new machine that's never been tested? You mentioned an e-stop...how is it wired in? If they're using normal inputs, I'd be really annoyed...

It turns out it was wired incorrectly and we were also given incorrect electrical drawings. Ultimately what I did was jumper 11 and 1 together with a e stop in-between. The wiring and schematics we were given were for a powerflex 70.

@ duncrock:
"Ultimately what I did was jumper 11 and 1 together with a e stop in-between."

I'm quite sure this is what joseph_e2 meant when he said "You mentioned an e-stop...how is it wired in? If they're using normal inputs, I'd be really annoyed..." I, and believe many others would also be annoyed at this if it's what you consider an E-Stop.

I have no idea of what your system is, but I would at least investigate using the Safe Torque Off feature of the PowerFlex 525 drives. (3 pole red jumper that comes default installed on the drives)

Read the manual about this feature and how to apply it properly. Make a decision later once you understand it. It's ultimately on you and your company for the safety of your systems.