PowerFlex 525 over Ethernet/IP

beerman81

Hi guys!

We have a big project at work where we are migrating from 1305, 1336, 160, 70, and 40 drives to identical PowerFlex 525 models. Most are running utilizing hardwired start/stop l/O etc., but some are using DeviceNet and ControlNet. All new drives are being installed with a Dual-Port Ethernet module, IPs assigned, patch cables installed, etc.

As an interim step, we are migrating all of the hardwired I/O drives first, so we can make progress without having to modify the PLC programs (yet), but the end goal would be to demo the I/O wiring completely so we can have all drives controlled solely over Ethernet/IP using our existing L62 PLCs.

We have already completed (5) of the planned (102) PF 525 migrations. We feel very comfortable ramping up the deployment of the next several batches as our technicians get more comfortable with the process of installation, autotune, rotation checks, etc.

I have watched some videos on the "Premier Integration" EIP control of PF 525s in Control Logix, and it seems fairly straightforward. Since the hardwired migrations are going well, I am ready to shift my focus and take the next step and migrate a DN-controlled PF 40 and CN-controlled 1305 drive to an EIP-controlled PF 525.

To successfully migrate the first DN/CN drive, I plan to have them installed alongside each other while I develop and test the updated code in the PLC. I'd like to have them operate in parallel but have the 525 operate without a load connected. This would give me sufficient time for configuration and testing while the machines are running.

Once I get those "warm fuzzies", we can do a quick pit-stop, move the motor leads over to the new drive, and see if she will run! If all goes well, we demo the old drive/cables during the next shutdown.

TLDR;

Is there a parameter I can set, or some way to run the 525 without being connected to a motor? I suspect I will get all sorts of faults from the drive...

Last edited:
No, you won't get any faults from a motor not connected with (close to) default parameters/no feedback. I test panels all the time with EIP PF525's and no motors connected.

You'll need power connected, ethernet and your safe off connected and thats it. Sounds like a smart idea to connect the VFD in parallel to verify operation, first.

There is a parameter you can set to have the drive fault on a no load condition, but by default it's disabled. You should be all good to go, and I agree that your approach is a good one.

If you leave the drive set up to operate in SVC (Sensorless Vector Control), the drive will know that there is no motor connected and eventually fault. So just make sure you change that default setting to be V/Hz control mode, then it will not know or care.