PowerFlex 525 Overvoltage Faults

Continuously getting over voltage faults on our 525 Drive when NOT running. I have increased the DC voltage parameter, installed reactor on line side then moved to load side. We do have surges in our line voltage, but have capacitor banks as well as the above mentioned devices installed. Have checked for any kind of correlation with other equipment, i.e. properly grounded, anything that could be causing a voltage surge or any kind of interference. Cant find anything other than our line fluctuation. Any suggestions as to what to do next?

Why do you have surges in your line voltage? If it's because an undersized transformer is tapped high to compensate for low voltage when loaded, then you need to upgrade your service.

we are at the end of the line for the utility company, 4160 equipment shutting down intermently....and possibly a capacitor bank failure (which we are currently looking into deeper).

Continuously getting over voltage faults on our 525 Drive when NOT running. I have increased the DC voltage parameter, installed reactor on line side then moved to load side. We do have surges in our line voltage, but have capacitor banks as well as the above mentioned devices installed. Have checked for any kind of correlation with other equipment, i.e. properly grounded, anything that could be causing a voltage surge or any kind of interference. Cant find anything other than our line fluctuation. Any suggestions as to what to do next?
Capacitor banks are your enemy when it comes to DC bus over voltage faults. The caps will often set up a resonance with the DC bus caps when the drive is not running. Often a line reactor is the cure for that by changing the dynamics, but if it didn't work, the next step would be a tuned harmonic filter ahead of the drive to remove the offending harmonic (often the 5th) from interacting with your PFC caps.

Read this

By the way, this is the main reason why I HATE PFC cap banks now. With the widespread use of VFDs and other power electronics, they generally cause more harm than good. If you have a Power Factor problem, use "at load" PFC caps that are ONLY on line when the induction load is on line.

Last edited: