Powerflex 525 protection - UL requirements

Nebul0us

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey all,

I know this might not be the best place to ask this, maybe I need to use the Mike Holt forum but I like it here more so here goes...

I believe the company I am working for is not meeting UL508a requirements when it comes to protection on our Powerflex 525 drives.

NEC states we basically have to follow the manufacturers recommendations in the manual.

The manual on the PF525 drives states for UL applications that a 140M/MT circuit breaker must be used. (Page 22 in 520-um001_-en-e)

However, my company is currently using 1489-M circuit breakers on the line side of each PF525. This does not meet UL spec, am I wrong?

Perhaps it is allowable as the PF525 manual states...

"UL – Only inverse time circuit breakers and the specified 140M/140MT
self-protected combination motor controllers are acceptable for UL
installations."

I haven't been able to verify that the 1489-M is an inverse time CB, but I think it is. Can anyone confirm and can anyone confirm that these are acceptable to use in place of a 140M/MT circuit breaker to meet UL requirements?