Powerflex 525 Startup / wiring

f16bmathis

I have a powerflex 525 that runs on 220 VAC. I wired up power and got into some parameters, but for the most part left it alone. I then got a motor and wired it to the VFD and could not find anything telling me if the output was HV or LV, so I wired it up as LV since it's only running 220 not 480. When power was turned back on, the VFD caught fire, which thankfully I had my handy fire prevention screwdriver which smothered it (after power was disconnected).

So I take it I needed to wire it HV or maybe look at a few parameters first? How stupid was I?

You need to set the drive nameplate voltage parameter to match the nameplate AND the wiring configuration you selected. It can be a high or low voltage depending on the motor. ex. 208/460. Could be wired for either, then tell the drive which motor voltage you are using.
Odd that it blew up though. Iv seen folks wire them wrong before and normally it just faults.

You should also set the nameplate FLA and MotorOverload parameters as well.
The factory default is 10.0 seconds for accel and decel, you may want to bump these down a bit also.

Play safe!

In general, a PowerFlex 520 series drive designed for 200-240V AC input will output 0-230V AC, so you would be correct wiring a dual-voltage motor for "Low Voltage".

If the drive failed on power-up, rather than when you commanded it to start, it's more likely that there was a short circuit or mis-connection on the DC Bus terminals than that there was something wrong with the motor wiring.

I'm with Ken on this one. it sounds like something got hooked to a power terminal it shouldn't have. Had a colleague who blew up two PF755s before he noticed that he had connected a motor wire to a DC bus terminal.

Keith

Did line voltage get wired to the motor terminals by chance?

Also check that there are no shorts in the motor field wiring.

before he noticed that he had connected a motor wire to a DC bus terminal.

I did this with a small Yaskawa servo, which not only smoked the drive but also tripped the breakers for the second floor of the engineering office, plunging everyone into darkness.

...on my very first day of work.

Still here, eight years later.

I did this with a small Yaskawa servo, which not only smoked the drive but also tripped the breakers for the second floor of the engineering office, plunging everyone into darkness.

...on my very first day of work.

Still here, eight years later.

Wow. When going get tough,the tough get going. Thanks Ken for all the support on these forums over the years