Powerflex 70 RIO Parameters

eight_bools

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good Morning,

I have a powerflex 70 drive with an RIO card for communications and had a quick question. I am having trouble with the parameters for speed reference and accel/decel being modified and am trying to find a way to lock it out.

I understand the HIM can be password protected but all someone needs to do is grab one from another dive and plug it in to override.

I was wondering if parameters like speed reference and accel/decel can be written using RIO from the PLC. The machine has a SLC5/05 with an RIO card.

There have been some mechanical issues with the machine in the past and it seems that whenever there is trouble the easiest thing to do is slow it down instead of fix the root cause. We use a significantly high amount of raw materials when the machine is slowed down, and someone always forgets to speed it back up once the issue is resolved.

Any thoughts on this or some other way of locking the parameters.

Thanks

With the 20-COMM-R, you can send the speed reference to the drive.
How you do it depends on how you have configured it, if you use 1/4 rack you need to use block transfer to send the speed reference.
If you use 1/2 rack it is part of the IO word.
Both methods reserve word zero for the use of block transfer even if you are not using block transfer, word one is for logic command (Write or Output word of PLC) or logic status (Read or Input word of PLC) of the drive.

It is all explained in the 20-COMM-RIO user manual.