PowerFlex 755 Network I/O Timeout

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Our new PLCTalk Forum member leonardov posted to an old thread, and I think his question deserves a fresh examination on its own merits. His post today:

I'm having the same issue "4037 net IO timeout"
I got here :
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp....ew/a_id/475410

anyone has the same issue before ?

My first request is for some more details about leonardov's installation. How long has it been running ? What kind of Ethernet switches are involved ? How often does the fault occur ? How does the system recover ?

Leonardov specifically says that his error code is "4037". The first digit indicates which DPI peripheral port number generated the error and Ports 4 through 8 are the Option Card slots. Port 4 is the rightmost card slot.

Please post all responses to this thread, not the old one.

The Ethernet switch is a stratix managed switch (I can provide the exact model on Monday).

Bus topologies are used in Ethernet cable connections. On the same bus, there can be three or two more powerflex.

Basically, the A/C units in the cabinet are not working properly. Some ofthe powerflex under the same network but not connected to the same bus have reported failures, mostly due to ethernet cable problems.

I would say that this error occurs 4 or 5 a week. is it possible that high temperature is affecting in some way ?

Please let me know if you need any more information. Thanks a lot!

Hi:

For me, I always connect PF755 in the native Ethernet Port with unmanaged switches like Stratix 2000 in star mode or directly to EN2T modules and I've never had network issues.

Thank you for those details.

The error code xx37 means that the fault is coming from a loss of packets on the network port, rather than from a failure of the Ethernet option module or something on the DPI network internal to the drive.

If you have temperatures that are getting high enough to damage the Ethernet cables or connectors, then the only suggestion I can make is to repair the cooling equipment, and/or install Ethernet cables and connectors that are rated for higher temperatures.

A typical PVC-jacketed Ethernet cable with a plastic connector is good up to about 75C, but you can get FEP plastic cables and metal-framed connectors that can withstand double that. They're costly, of course.

Any updates from leonardov?

Are the drives on local private networks or are they on a plant-wide machine network?
There could be some NAT issues going on here.