PowerFlex40 communication problem.

arturnok

Hello Gentelmans,
I try to establish connnection with PowerFlex 40 using Usb-RS485 converter like this:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/Modules/DS_USB-COM485-PLUS1.pdf
and a RJ45 connentor connected like this:

Usb-RS485
DB-9 male----------RJ45
pin 1---------------pin 5
pin2----------------pin4

120 ohm resistor from 1 to 3 in DB-9 connector.

connectionPowerFlex.jpg

I use RSLinx Classic v2.57
What I have to choose in RSLinx connfiguration to be able to talk with my Powerflex via my converter?

rsLinksScreen.jpg

I've tryed everything listed there and Powerflex doesn't respond (only flashing TX led).
Other thing is, that this is my first time with AB....:oops:

Can anyone tell me what I do wrong, please?

RSLinx won't talk to the drives.

We use Allen Bradley's 'Drive Explorer' software to configure drives through the AB USB to Drive adapter (1203-USB). Unfortunately the formerly free 'Drive Explorer' software is no longer available at Allen Bradley.

Edit - just found this link at AB - http://www.ab.com/linked/drives/driveexplorer/free_download.html

Another option is to use a Modbus application to read and write the drive parameters. That may work through your USB - RS485 convertor.

thanks bernie,
I have Drive Executive to edit parameter list, but after clicking 'connect to drive' I have to choose one drive from the list configured in RSLinx- and here- we are going to begin.
Anyway, I do not see Your 1203 Adapter in 'configure drivers' window, or is other name?
Should my adapter driver be listed in that list, or there are only Rockwell poroducts installed with RSLinx?

Try a 22-SCM-232

You can buy from your Distributor for ~$300USD, or off eBay for ~$60USD.
It is a RS-232 to "RS485' converter, and is recognized by Drive Explorer . . .

Hi Jeffrey,
I've checked RS- 232DF1 devices (actually I've checked all in the list)
and is the same.
It seems that RSlinx is able to recognize adapter it sends data packects while testing (Tx led flashing) but there is no respond from other side( Rx led dead)
I try to find some laptop with Drive Explorer and will check.
Buying a new ABadapter, especially for the price the new inverter from the other brand, for this application I think will not happen.
I'll keep lookingo_O
🍻

For ModBus of all serial types, do not forget that isolation and resistor termination are sometimes the key in making things work. I use Chipkin as a testing software.