Press controls and PLC's

lazermanmike

Which is the best solution for our 80 ton punch press to monitor
the tonage and stroke and safty etc. The plc or a canned control
like sat Wintriss Smart pak.which ever I use I'll have to do some
upgradeing to the machine first. Thanks

You mention safety in your post. This must be addressed and comply to relavent standards within country of operation.

Press control is easy with a PLC but safety will always (typically) require safety light curtains or guard switches and/or mechanical guards. These must then be monitored via either a monitoring relay or safety PLC.

Have you done a risk assessment on your PRESS?

Ask your local Omron expert for safety and PLC advice.

Does this get you started??

We have done many presses like this and I beleive that if you really want it in a certain way then PLC is the way to go.

As for any safety devices they, as always, will be in a seperate standard array of devices.

Omron is one of many (PLC and safety devices).

lazermanmike,

We have customers using the Wintress controls, in conjunction with our ePLCs. They have been using them for several years now. As to which version they are using, I am not familiar.

Using a PLC or other solution for your safety, will require meeting the standards of OSHA 1910.217 and / or ANSI B11.1-1988 for control reliability.

It would be highly recommended that you keep the automation of your press separate from your safety requirements, meaning two separate systems.

In using a system that is specifically designed for redundancy and safety, you may pay more (up front), but you will be certain to meet the above requirements, and in essence save down the road in terms of non compliance fines, and liability claims.

All too many times you hear about companies nickel and diming on preventative costs, and then have to pay many times more in claims and fines if they would have done it right the first time.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

lazermanmike

There was someone in here last week asking the same questions about a stamping machine. If you search back, you will find some useful answers.

Doug