Preventive Maintenance Checklist for Rockwell PLCs

Check batteries. Ensure you have a backup of the PLC logic. Run the PLC parts through the lifecycle website to know if you can buy parts. Check which parts are still in the warehouse.
Tighten terminals at random to see if there's any becoming loose.

Give or take 20 years worth of experience in automated industrial environment. Don't get me wrong, but control system maintenance isn't something you have on a book or a whole area of science (like tribology) behind. It's either good practice or quite literally learnt from past mistakes and **** ups.

I'm obviously assuming you do check your instruments and carry out any required proof testing on the plants in question.

Usually it works until it doesn't type of thing.. be told to replace a 1960's obsolete latch relay for a new one only to have it fail a week later due to a contact failure from a manufacturing defect..

I'll keep my PLC5 running over here without ever being PM'd.