Studio 5k for maintenance?

RetiQlum2

Hi all. My maintenance department is clamoring for the ability to look at the PLC programs (and we finally have some who can read it.) I have a bunch of SLC5s, some legacy Logix 5000, a few modern L82s and whatever the safety Compactlogix PLC is.

I need them to be able to read basic ladder, safety, and _maybe_ structured text. I haven't run across where any of our vendors have used the other languages.

Will the Mini license work? Do they need the Lite version?

Remember: read only, maybe toggle a bit or change a timer under direction. I absolutely don't want the capability to edit safety for them.

Thanks.

Well your best bet is to contact your distributor and give them the PLC models you have, tell them what you want to do and get a quote. You will have to do this anyway as it is the only way to purchase a software license so you might as well do it up front.

Ordering Guide: https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qr/9324-qr001_-en-p.pdf

Basic rundown of the main versions
- Mini: CompactLogix Ladder only
- Lite: CompactLogix only, but includes ST, SFC, FBD, *and Safety*
- Standard: Both Compact- and ControlLogix, but only Ladder
- Full: Both Compact- and ControlLogix with ST, SFC, FBD, *and Safety*
- Professional: Full but includes RSNetworx

If you read the fine print there is also a 'Service Edition' which is read-only (iirc allows upload/download but no editing), ask your distributor for details.

So if you don't want safety editing allowed your options are narrowed down to Mini/Standard (the latter if you need ControlLogix support) or the Service Edition which will not allow *any* actual editing, just monitoring.

Give them the logic, but use an HMI built to look like the logic; that way you can control which bits, if any, they can write.

It may take longer than an having an online mode of RSLogix/Studio whatever, but anything more than a locked-down HMI is asking for trouble.

Just to touch on one aspect of your question I haven't seen answered yet: safety programs are (or at least, should be) locked with a safety password. If the safety password is not shared with your technicians, it doesn't matter what version they have, they can't touch the safety code or safety tags.

Give them the logic, but use an HMI built to look like the logic; that way you can control which bits, if any, they can write.

It may take longer than an having an online mode of RSLogix/Studio whatever, but anything more than a locked-down HMI is asking for trouble.
That's a pretty idea but it requires me to rewrite 30 years of code in 20 PLCs, ranging from SLC5 to LS82, overnight. Not a single PLC program was purchased or edited under the supervision of a controls engineer or any sort of corporate style guide.

We had a vendor deliver a whole brand new robotic system without even the basic timeout for open and close on pneumatic cylinders. The machine just stops with no indication. And that's the new, modern, fancy stuff. Maintenance just replaced a Powerflex 40 drive, and the replacement exploded. That's just a taste of my current situation.

Eventually they won't need the laptop but it'll be a couple of years before it's all updated.

You know, with the keyswitch in RUN, any version of Logix/Studio can look at the code, toggle a bit, but not be able to make edits.

Just a suggestion.

For the AB plc's, contact your local distributor and tell him what you have and that you want the plc software that will only monitor the file.
they will be able to open the plc program, toggle bits, do forces, and modify timers, counters....., but cannot modify the plc code.
We did this where i used to work, we had a bubba. fortunately he quit.
james

For the AB plc's, contact your local distributor and tell him what you have and that you want the plc software that will only monitor the file.
they will be able to open the plc program, toggle bits, do forces, and modify timers, counters....., but cannot modify the plc code.
We did this where i used to work, we had a bubba. fortunately he quit.
james
What does Bubba mean in this context?

That's a pretty idea but it requires me to rewrite 30 years of code in 20 PLCs, ranging from SLC5 to LS82, overnight. Not a single PLC program was purchased or edited under the supervision of a controls engineer or any sort of corporate style guide.

We had a vendor deliver a whole brand new robotic system without even the basic timeout for open and close on pneumatic cylinders. The machine just stops with no indication. And that's the new, modern, fancy stuff. Maintenance just replaced a Powerflex 40 drive, and the replacement exploded. That's just a taste of my current situation.

Eventually they won't need the laptop but it'll be a couple of years before it's all updated.
Hear me out here.....

Turn the processors to run, and take the keys away.

then if anybody is found with a key to turn it to remote, fire them.

easiest solution in history.

You can even add logic to detect if the key has been changed to REM. If it is detected, sound a klaxon. The only drawback to the key solution (which is by far the easiest and most effective solution) is for those controllers (like modern CompactLogix) that don't have a key. If they have those, then we need another method like Service Edition or FTAC.

Not sure about the older SLC 500 though. There wasn't a Service Edition or a "Lite" or "Mini" version of that software for the rack based controllers (5/01 - 5/05). They used to have an Online Only version back in the days of DOS software, but the Windows software never had that option. Not sure if FTAC works with those controllers.

OG

Here is a link to the service edition information for studio 5k

Service Edition Technote

ID: IN1803 | Access Levels: Everyone

About RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000 Service Edition​

Document ID IN1803
Published Date 08/01/2023
Summary
About RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000 Service Edition
Content

Question​

• What specifically does RSLogix 5000 or Studio 5000 Service Edition provide?
  • Why canā€™t I make any online edits to my controller?
  • Why I can not add any tags online?
  • Why the second user in Windows cannot use online edits in Studio 5000 after grace period?

Answer​

RSLogix 5000 or Studio 5000 Service Edition (9324-RLD000ENE) offers a Reduced Functionality version of RSLogix 5000 or Studio 5000 software which supports all Logix5000 controllers using Major revision 12 firmware or greater.
Meets the needs of customers who want to limit the capabilities of their users, without having to manage passwords. OEMs & System Integrators who need to deliver something to load and service equipment, but want to control costs.

Service Edition allows:​

Upload / Download
  • If you download a project to the controller and delete the file from your local drive, you will not be able to upload to a new project file.
View Only for the following programming languages (No Editing Ability):
  • Ladder Logic
  • FBD
  • SFC
  • ST
  • Phase Manager Upload/Download only.
  • GuardLogix editor
Supports options to enable View Only or Modification modes for:
  • Tag data values
  • I/O Forcing
  • SFC Forcing
Supports:
  • Graphical Trending
  • Configure or Calibrate existing I/O modules
  • Supports printing of application reports
  • Can change Controller Modes (Run, Program, Test)​
All Controller Properties dialogs are viewable and the following can be edited:
  • Serial Port
  • System Protocol
  • User Protocol
  • Clear Major and Minor Faults
  • Load/store to non-volatile memory

Couple miscellaneous things you cannot do:​

• Cannot create new .ACD files.
  • Cannot import tags.
  • Cannot select rungs.
  • Force Safety I/O
Disabling Additional Functionality:
Users have the option to disable the download/upload functionality and also disable the forcing of tag value changes. To disable the download/upload functionality, the forcing of tag value changes, the ability to change controller mode and the ability to edit controller modules/component properties see QA6336 - RSLogix 5000/Studio 5000 Service Edition - disabling optional features

Service Edition can also be upgraded to a more comprehensive edition. See IN65 - Studio 5000 Logix Designer: Choosing Your Package for choosing your RSLogix 5000 package.

Also see IN67 - RSLogix 5000 software is available in several Versions, Localized Languages and Editions for an explanation of versions, languages and editions available for RSLogix 5000 software.