principles of remote connections to plcs

chud

I posted about this before but didnt get much help. i asked about remote connection to m340 plc. But i would like to have some more info in general of setting up remote com( internet) through local network.
What are the things to look out for regarding windows and network settings? I would like to connect using my plcs programming software.
Ive got a desktop pc with a wireless dialup internet gateway plugged in on usb. on the ethernet side i have a hmi and plc connected. the comms through internal network are working fine. but not through internet. I have allowed the ports of the plc in my firewall settings of desktop pc network card and also wireless gateway.
Does the remote pc have to be in the ip range of the network, and do i have to allow the remote pc access through gateway and lan? if so how to do this?
Thanx for any help

Last edited:
I think you will find there are not many people using the M340. I had a look at it and dismissed it out of hand for many reasons - the first being the software and then I went down the list with the Schneider rep.
I would suggest you contact Schneider as I have yet to find many people using the PLC in Ozz but I am sure there are some out there.
You may have to set up a VPN by the way - just not sure.

thanx bob. but like i sadi regardless of the plc used. what are the network and firewall settings normally used for connection like this? I will setup VPN and see if it works.

You will get an IP address for your PC VPN adapter that is on the same subnet as your PLC. It should be pretty straightforward to program the device remotely once connected. Be safe...

I think you will find there are not many people using the M340.
We've installed more M340s (for a variety of customers) in the last 12 months than Ive seen, say for example, Omron plcs in the last 20 years
Personally I find the M340 to be an excellent plc, and the software is second none.
And I dont find the need to jump onto any threads on Omron just to bag them

Last edited:
surfer b, i know you have alot of pc knowledge, maybe you can help me. i'm trying to setup this damn vpn network and no joy. Ive got an huawei wireless gateway for internet connection. on some forums some people say this gateway cannot be used for vpn others say it can. at a loss now really. ive gone so far as installing a third party software called hamachi that creates vpns. when plugged into the lan the vpn connects (and it only does when there is a internet connection so it doesnt work via the lan) but as soon as i disconnect my laptop and use its own wireless (vodafone hsdpa usb) it doesnt find vpn. now this can be because of slow speed or because the huawei gateway doesnt support vpn or IP forwarding. if you have any suggestions for me to check pls let me know. again any help would be app

What is the model number? Routers will explicitly say whether or not they also function as VPN endpoints.

You will probably only be able to connect to the VPN from an outside Internet connection - not from within your network.

ok now i have baiscally tried everyting. well the thing is i dont have a router...hehe. sure this is the problem. cause like i said it looks like the gateway doesnt support vpn or ip forwarding. still busy trying some 3rd party softwares
We also tried connecting from outside with msn vpn but no joy. the gateway creates dynamic ip's which is another problem.at the moment ive got a software loader for my plc on the remote desktop and use teamviewer to connect to desktop then download the changed software from laptop to desktop via teamviewer and load the plc with the unityloader. so at least i can change the program if needed. but nothing online

thanks for the help everyone. it would seem my wireless gateway cannot do vpn without a router. so for now the unityloader will have to do. think that a plc program downloader uploader like this is very, very handy. no lisence needed, free download, and any pc can load,upload program to/from plc. makes my life and customers life much easier when major problems occur

We've installed more M340s (for a variety of customers) in the last 12 months than Ive seen, say for example, Omron plcs in the last 20 years
Personally I find the M340 to be an excellent plc, and the software is second none.
And I dont find the need to jump onto any threads on Omron just to bag them
Not bagging them just an observation that I do not see many of them in Ozz.
When I looked at them they were new and had few capabilities. They have improved and now you can even use expansion racks - could not when I looked - had to network 2 PLCs together to get enough I/O.
Schneider have an extremly strange sales policy in Ozz for PLCs also. Lousy discounts unless you are a big user. I get better discounts on AB and Siemens than on Schneider - not much encouragement to give them a go. The strange thing is I use the remainder of the Schneider range a lot and am on very high discounts for contactors, overloads etc etc. The automation division is quite different.
The other problem with Schneider in Ozz is that the automation division competes with systems integrators for work.
Nothing like buying from your competition!!
I do not only use Omron by the way, GE-Fanuc, Hitachi till they discontinued most of the range, Siemens, IDEC, AB etc as required.

Last edited:
I am not an expert..but i find Modicon 340 as a good PLC ( I have used them in quite a lot of applications) recently we used it to connect locations (security posts) 3 kms apart using Advantys remote units and central PLC M340. The application was remote intruder alarm.
The connections are through existing LAN netork.(fibreoptic)

All remote units will have

a) IP address
b) Subnet Mask
c) Gateway

The above three parameters are alloted by LAN administrator and then have to uploaded in remote units (Advantys).

Cheers.

thanx for the info plcsoftvsd but this application is a remote site with access to only a wireless modem. the problem is that this modem is restricted in that it doesnt allow ip forwarding but assigns a dynamic ip to the desktop pc on the lan. so in order for this to work i must get a router, or a wirless modem where the modem and the isp allows port forwarding. i have tried things like dyndns which shows me my dynamic ip evertytime i log on the internet and it updates aswell. but still no vpn is allowed. a ras would work but no telephone line here. so still im stuck with just using unity loader over a remote desktop connection. at least thats something

1) Disable Windows Firewall(s).
2) Success.

(y)

In all seriousness though, if you establish a reliable VPN both software and hardware wise it should be enough to ensure you have all the access you want to your devices. Here I have a couple of different systems I need to play with from time to time ranging from things I can easily setup using Windows Network Connections, to things I can only access using UGent VPN or similar secure programs. Some of our sites use pricey switchgear and fast connections and some use off the shelf consumer items and your garden variety broadband. It all works pretty well from here...

Last edited:
lol. if i had a dime for evertime i switched the firewalls on and off this week i would be a millionaire. Jeev i'm sure if the site has the right equiptment a vpn would work fine. but his site doesnt. remote sites are a problem as there is no acces to telephone lines. only wireless connections to internet. and like the gr8 documentation ranjith gave me it applies to a site that has adsl or some hardwired link to internet. basically i think a router will solve this. only thing is i will only get one in a couple of weeks.