Printing from SLC-5/05 to Zebra Printer

grasmussen

Looking for some assistance from anyone who may have had to do this in the past. After looking over the ZPL II printing command structure, I am concerned that we will likely exceed the 82 character limit for the ASCII WRITE command in the SLC.

Any suggestions or helpful hints would be appreciated.

Can you use a 1746-BAS Basic Module?

Can you store your print job in the Zebra external memory card and just send ascii code to execute printing?

Will the data on label you are printing change often? (i.e ingrediant legends, batch codes, expiration dates)

10k,

We would prefer not to use the Basic module as this woudl add cost to a project that is already over-budget.

As for storing the print job in the Zebra, I don't know enough about the Zebra's capabilities to know whether this is feasable or not.

The following information will be printed on the label:
PRODUCT NAME
PRODUCT FORM#
PRODUCT CODE
BATCH #
DATE
OPERATOR
PH VALUE
DENSITY VALUE

IIRC, you can send multiple format / text / barcode commands and when all sent, then send the 'print' command. IE, you don't have to send everything all at once.

ps, anyone that I've talked to that actually used a a 1746-BAS Basic Module vows to never use it again unless forced to.

theDave2,

Thanks for your Help Dave. I'll give this a whirl.

I have never used the 1746-BAS module before but was one of the fisrt users of the 1771-BAS module. I still wake up nights with nightmares from that experience!

Some of The variables are based on batch recipe selections
Others are based on sample measurements.

All of these variables reside in the SLC

I commiserate on being over budget (sure have been there before!). In my past installations when I took the ability to change the label format out of the end users hands, I became the “label administrator”. I was hoping a PC was involved that could monitor the SLC and also store/print the label format. The end user could then modify the format as needed. Once again I understand we all don’t have NASA budgets L