Problem with PanelViewPlus Over VPN

awhisp

I'm having problems with a PanelViewPlus over a VPN. I have a road warrior account setup on the main vpn server and a tunnel between the main office and our remote office. While connected, I can ping and see data being passed on 44818 and see the touch screen but whenever I try and push a file to it, the counter goes to 9% and I get an error that the connection timed out.

This is all being done with a software SSL VPN solution. It's being done as a bridged VPN rather than a routed one. I can see all data pass and haven't had any problems doing file transfers and the like.

When we tested this in house, we were able to get the ping times up into the 500ms and still make things work. Now, I can't even make it work with 150-200ms.

I have tcpdump logs of the data if anyone would need. Please email if so.

Which connection timed out? The VPN connection? or the RSLinx (Enterprise?) connection to the PanelView?

I just tried downloading a PV+ application over my VPN to the plant, and didn't have any problems. I **DO** however have some problems with Ethernet/IP connections to some CPU's, which I'm pretty sure is that my VPN router there is blocking the ports (as it works to CPU's on my 'open' IP range). Also, I've had to increase RSLinx-Classic's timeouts a bit on the plain-jane 'Ethernet' driver.

Here's the error:

Transfer failed due to CIP general status 0x01 extended status 0x0204

I can get to the PLC and do whatever is needed all day long. It's when I try and send a file to the PVP that I have problems. The odd thing is, I can RECEIVE a file no problem!

The problem software is RSView Studio, which is a component of RSView
Enterprise for Machine Edition (or something similar). It is the Machine Edition Transfer Utility that is getting the errors.

The VPN'll stay up the entire time so I do not believe it to be the problem. The VPN is wide open; I can see CIP messages sent back and forth while data is transmitted on the PVP's TCP 44818.

I've tried googling that error message and haven't come up with much.

Unfortunately Error 01, extended status 0204 is always a timeout error, which doesn't explain why it occurs.

Could you mention the SSL VPN software that you are using ?

It's the same software companies like Clearpathnetworks or WatchGuard use for VPNs. Instead of being an IPSec VPN, everything is done over UDP with SSL. I've actually set this up and tested this with FTP and Windows NetBIOS shares and made everything on the VPN interface and LAN interface is wide open. I've got tcpdumps that show the data passes but I have no clue why the PLC works and the touch screen doesn't.

I proposed this question to Rockwell and they had me send the logs I have but I never got a call back yesterday or anything. Is this normal for them?

Anyone else have any ideas? I tested this again yesterday and we were able to get this going in house but still can't get this to work live over the Internet.