Process Interlock Condition Naming

JLand

I have a question about process interlock naming. I want to hear opinions, as well as if there is a relevant standard.

When naming specific conditions, for example a pump is interlocked on a discharge side pressure transmitter, do you describe the interlock on the HMI as the interlock in the okay state ("Discharge Pressure OK"), in the not okay state (Discharge Pressure High), or state-agnostic ("Discharge Pressure")? Or perhaps some other way? Keeping in mind, the text cannot by dynamically changed.

I can't make up my mind what I prefer. I see upsides and downsides to all three.

OK state can be confusing, because to the operator if they see an X next to "Discharge Pressure OK", they are being told two different things, that the discharge pressure is not OK (as notated by the X) but that pressure is okay (because of the description text).

Not-OK state can also be confusing, because it introduces a potential double negative interpretation of the state (an X by "Discharge Pressure Not OK" could mean that discharge pressure not OK is not the current state).

Lastly, a state-agnostic solution requires process knowledge, which all operators may not have. The operator would have to know that the pump requires a lower discharge pressure in order to operate.

I am mulling over this topic in the context of a PlantPAx installation. The interlock on a device that is not in the OK state is represented by a black and white "X" next to the description.

Thanks!!

I think my preference would be to have the interlock stated in the OK state, almost as if you're asking if that condition is met, like:

"Discharge Pressure OK?" and then have your check or green square next to it if that's the case. Note that I probably wouldn't actually put the question mark, but it might actually make it less ambiguous to operators. Attached is a screenshot of one project I worked on (I didn't create the runtime, just worked on the PLC end of it). I like that it shows the red (or green when condition is satisfied) square first, so that reading left to right you see that the condition isn't met first.

So in my screenshot, none of the interlocks are satisfied, i.e. the emergency stop IS active, the heater ISN'T on, etc.

Interlocks.PNG

Interesting, so kind of like a go/no-go list. I think that works well in non-high performance HMI applications, with lots of color and a green=good state, instead of a nothing=good state (no symbol representing good, only an X representing bad). I see your point, and I think that makes sense,

I've done an implementation of high performance just like that. Except it says "Met" with no symbol/"Not Met" with a red flag to draw attention.