Proficy cannot go online with CPE305

spicoli

Hey everyone. I'm having an issue connecting to a RX3i 12 slot base, with a cpe305 cpu. On this same project I have a 7" Quickpanel+ hmi.

There are 2 of these machines side-by-side that are more or less the same. On both of these machines I can upload/download the HMI program via Ethernet, through Proficy, without issue. I cannot, however, go online with either cpe305 at this time. Troublingly, I just programmed one of these machines about 2 weeks ago and now cannot go online with it.

I'm using Poficy 8.6 on a Windows 7 virtual desktop.

Need more information as to what fault or error you see in PME.
Call me if you want I'm in Byron Center. (GLAS eight oh oh .456..8207)
Can you ping the CPE305?

Last edited:
Two possible causes:

1. The PLC has been powered down without a battery and has reverted to its default IP address.

2. The PLC target in the Machine Edition project is not set for Ethernet communications or for the wrong IP address.

The default IP address for a CPE305 is 192.168.0.100. If you can't ping the unit using the IP address it is supposed to have, try that one (after resetting your programming computer's IP address if necessary).

Two possible causes:

1. The PLC has been powered down without a battery and has reverted to its default IP address.

2. The PLC target in the Machine Edition project is not set for Ethernet communications or for the wrong IP address.

The default IP address for a CPE305 is 192.168.0.100. If you can't ping the unit using the IP address it is supposed to have, try that one (after resetting your programming computer's IP address if necessary).
Good thoughts, however for security reasons that CPU will not revert back to the factory default IP once it receives a new one via hardware config. So if the IP is different than what you think it should be your best option may be the serial port. For that you would use the GE-IP cable IC693CBL316.
Also if this system is using the default 'Energy Pack' instead of battery backed RAM, it will power up in the exact state that it was in when it powered down.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, fellas. Here's what more I can tell you.

When attempting to connect, after some time, I receive an Error 8503 Communication Subsystem timeout. My Comm. Timeout and Request Timeout are set to 10000ms and 16000ms, respectively.

This particular unit is a new, unused cpe305 (I also have tried this with a spare, unused 305, to the same result).
The Targets physical port is set to ETHERNET and the IP is 192.168.0.100
The Ethernet Daughterboard is set to IP 192.168.0.100, Subnet 255.255.0.0 and Gateway 192.168.0.254

When pinging 192.168.0.100 I receive the following
request timeout
request timeout
reply from 192.168.1.110 destination host unreachable
request timeout
4 packets sent, 1 received, 3 lost

Last edited:
Error 8503, confirms what your Ping tells us. There is not a clear path from your PC port to the PAC port.
First get a different patch cable or verify it and your PC port.
Triple check the IP of your computer and verify the need and accuracy of the Gateway IP.

What do mean by "The Ethernet Daughterboard is set to..."

Another thought: Have you ever used the "Set Temporary IP Address" tool in Proficy Machine Edition on the computer you're using?
The reason I ask is because I've been burned by it in the past. That tool changes your PC's arp table which is where the association is made between IP addresses and MAC IDs. If you've used it, your computer may be associating 192.168.0.100 with the MAC ID of another CPU.
I once found myself in a situation where I was unable to connect to a PLC that other people in the facility had no problems with. I eventually figured out that my computer's arp table was trying to connect to a different MAC ID. The reason that my computer's arp table was messed up was because I had been trying to work out problems with the program in that PLC using another PLC on the bench in the shop. I had used the Set Temporary IP Address tool to assign the production floor PLC's IP address to the bench PLC. That action had changed my computer's arp table to associate the IP address with the MAC ID of the bench PLC. So when I returned to the PLC on the production floor I was no longer able to communicate with it. I had to clear my computer's arp table to be able to establish a connection.

Rather a long-winded suggestion and short on details because I'm far from a networking expert.

Again thanks for the help here. I've spoken to you on the phone a time or two, Russ, and you've always been helpful.

I'm referring to the Ethernet Daughterboard configuration found in the Hardware config, under the CPE305.

I've tried a few different cables thus far.

To Confirm my address settings:

PLC Target
Physical Port: ETHERNET
IP Address: 192.168.0.100

HWC
IP 192.168.0.100
Subnet 255.255.0.0
Gateway 0.0.0.0 (receive an error 8300 when I leave this blank)

My Network Adapter
IP 192.168.0.180
Subnet 255.255.0.0
Gateway is now left blank (will not allow a 0.0.0.0 address)

Steve, yes. That's something I have done in the past. When I check the arp table in command prompt it looks like this cpu's mac address is associated with the 192.168.0.100 IP. I'll look into clearing the arp cache.

Another thought: Have you ever used the "Set Temporary IP Address" tool in Proficy Machine Edition on the computer you're using?
The reason I ask is because I've been burned by it in the past. That tool changes your PC's arp table which is where the association is made between IP addresses and MAC IDs. If you've used it, your computer may be associating 192.168.0.100 with the MAC ID of another CPU.
I once found myself in a situation where I was unable to connect to a PLC that other people in the facility had no problems with. I eventually figured out that my computer's arp table was trying to connect to a different MAC ID. The reason that my computer's arp table was messed up was because I had been trying to work out problems with the program in that PLC using another PLC on the bench in the shop. I had used the Set Temporary IP Address tool to assign the production floor PLC's IP address to the bench PLC. That action had changed my computer's arp table to associate the IP address with the MAC ID of the bench PLC. So when I returned to the PLC on the production floor I was no longer able to communicate with it. I had to clear my computer's arp table to be able to establish a connection.

Rather a long-winded suggestion and short on details because I'm far from a networking expert.

Have you tried going to one of the systems done 2 weeks ago to see if your PC can still connect to it?

Let me make sure I understand what you're working with. You have a PC (192.168.0.???), a PLC (192.168.0.100) and an HMI (192.168.0.101).

They are all connected through a switch???

The PC at 192.168.0.??? can download a program to the HMI at 192.168.0.101
The PC at 192.168.0.??? can not establish a connection with the PLC at 192.168.0.100, nor can it ping IP address 192.168.0.100.

Can the HMI at 192.168.0.101 communicate with the PLC at 192.168.0.100???