Profile measurement Sensor that provides raw data

Moosetracks

I am looking for a profile sensor that I can get access to the raw data. I looked a Keyence, Cognex and can probably get what I need but they are very expensive. I found a few like the ifm OPD101 that can do the measuring, but they use the data internally to provide binary outputs.

Ideally I would like to find something under $4k that can do up to a 10" area.

What kind of resolution and accuracy do you need? Some of the IFM devices that support IO-Link will do what you need, but you'll need a IO-Link scanner/master to interface to it.

Look at GoCator. I think they are above your $4k. I don't remember the cost, but I remember they were much cheaper than Keyence/Cognex a couple years ago when I used it. It does provide back Raw Data and was easy to use.

I expect that any sensor that does this will have the accuracy and resolution I need. Its more about getting the data and not being so expensive.

I was looking at that IO link on that sensor and was hoping it put out the profile measurements, but It looked like the IO link was for interacting with the different profiles it can be programmed to match or not match. Did you see something different?

What kind of resolution and accuracy do you need? Some of the IFM devices that support IO-Link will do what you need, but you'll need a IO-Link scanner/master to interface to it.

I had used gocator in the past and I was just going off of what the one I used cost 10 years ago it was around 10k so I figured it would be over my budget. I'll get a quote for one of the smaller gocators and see what it comes in at.

For comparison I know I can stack up 10 IO link measurement photo eyes and achieve what I need, but I wanted a single product solution and a better data would be a nice bonus.

Look at GoCator. I think they are above your $4k. I don't remember the cost, but I remember they were much cheaper than Keyence/Cognex a couple years ago when I used it. It does provide back Raw Data and was easy to use.

I expect that any sensor that does this will have the accuracy and resolution I need. Its more about getting the data and not being so expensive.

I was looking at that IO link on that sensor and was hoping it put out the profile measurements, but It looked like the IO link was for interacting with the different profiles it can be programmed to match or not match. Did you see something different?

yeah, this device is more for go/no-go inspection. Are you looking for a single point device that you can record readings as you move across a surface, recording a raw profile in memory?

Not a single point device, but rather an scan of an area. I misread what you wrote before.

yeah, this device is more for go/no-go inspection. Are you looking for a single point device that you can record readings as you move across a surface, recording a raw profile in memory?

Last edited:
I just finished a powder coat paint line that I used a IFM sensor for making a pseudo servo axis. The sensor was a OGD580 and I read in the measurements using a AL1422 IO-Link Master.

Ah that is a single point sensor so it makes sense that you could read in the measurement over IO link. The profile sensor I mentioned above takes several measurements over a width and then sees if it matches a profile. I need to scan an area.

I just finished a powder coat paint line that I used a IFM sensor for making a pseudo servo axis. The sensor was a OGD580 and I read in the measurements using a AL1422 IO-Link Master.

Ah that is a single point sensor so it makes sense that you could read in the measurement over IO link. The profile sensor I mentioned above takes several measurements over a width and then sees if it matches a profile. I need to scan an area.

Keyence - expensive but good. They have surface area measurement devices. In a previous life I was heavy into measurement/inspection and I used an early simple model but there has to be other players now.

I am looking for a profile sensor that I can get access to the raw data. I looked a Keyence, Cognex and can probably get what I need but they are very expensive. I found a few like the ifm OPD101 that can do the measuring, but they use the data internally to provide binary outputs.

Ideally I would like to find something under $4k that can do up to a 10" area.

https://www.leuze.com/en/usa/produc...t_section_sensors_us_1/lps_36_us/selector.php

We have 24 of these installed for approximately two months they seem to work, no failures yet

I don't know how accurate it needs to be, but Keyence's new IX image based laser sensor may work. I believe it has to measure off a reference point. Our rep had told us a package would be around $3k. I don't think that included the DL-EP1 that would be needed to get back data. Just a quick look at the assembly instances it looks like you do get back measurement data. I've never used so I can't attest to the accuracy.

Its ironic you posted this today. I had been talking to keyence and they suggested the IX sensor. I got the quote today and its about 4k with the dl-ep1. Right now its the current best option for me. Thank you for the info.

I don't know how accurate it needs to be, but Keyence's new IX image based laser sensor may work. I believe it has to measure off a reference point. Our rep had told us a package would be around $3k. I don't think that included the DL-EP1 that would be needed to get back data. Just a quick look at the assembly instances it looks like you do get back measurement data. I've never used so I can't attest to the accuracy.