program fault handler

Thanks for all your help, I guess I was making things too complicated like I said initially my understanding was that a fault routine for a program would automatically run when the fault was generated in the program. In this case a math fault when 1000000 was multiplied by 1000000 giving an error code 4 type 4 (minor controller fault) and I expected to see the fault routine run and a bit energise in that routine and if I had programed it right the fault would clear from the fault routine. I find some times when reading Allen bradley manuals I am reading a foreign language. Again thanks for you patience and help.
Jude

If you were doing this same thing (math error) in the SLC 500 system it would have created the major fault and called the fault routine.

The Logix 5000 system on the other hand treats that as a minor error so that is why you didn't get the fault routine executing.

Good luck!

OG

1769 l32e

Here is the logic I typically use in the fault routine and/or the fault handler. This is usually all there is to it.

OG

I have a compact logix that powers up in fault condition with a 03 16 code, tech support is no help, everything will run great after a key flip. My next step is to try writing a power up handler that will reset any controller major faults, I'm confused as to what kind of tag to use for the SSV command,and how to create it, maybe just the .TimeLow that confuses me, is it an DINT array?

Kingdm42 - You will need to create a UDT for the fault information.

Go to the Help for the GSV instruction - scroll to bottom and hit the link for GSV/SSV Objects.

Then follow the link to the PROGRAM object - there you will find the make-up of the MajorFaultRecord Attribute. It says it is DINT[11], but it is easier to use the data it contains if you create a UDT with the structure shown in the Help....

MemberName DataType Style
.TimeLow DINT Decimal
.TimeHigh DINT Decimal
.Type INT Decimal
.Code INT Decimal
.Info DINT[8] Hex

Your GSV that fetches the fault information should then specify YOURTAG.TimeLow as the Destination (i.e. the start of the structure).

You can then interrogate YOURTAG.Type and YOURTAG.Code to trap your Type=3, Code=16 fault.

Only then should you clear the TimeLow and TimeHigh values, and SSV that back to the System Area.

Type=3 / Code=16 Fault is "A required I/O module connection failed.".

Major Fault on Controller if Connection Fails checkbox

Check this box to configure the controller so that failure of the connection to this module causes a major fault on the controller if the connection for the module fails.
Note that this checkbox is automatically checked and disabled for all 1769 I/O modules and the CompactBus Virtual Backplane adapter.

It could be that a module takes too long to power-up and establish connection to the controller, especially if Run-Prog-Run clears the problem.

....continued

In that case, a Power-Up Handler may not cure the problem.

Added: -
Just read the "Logix5000 Controllers Information and Status" online book, where it states that Type=3 / Code=16 Fault occurs -

"...will fault if the connection is dropped while in Run mode. A required
I/O module connection failed, creating a 3/16 type fault."

This could be a due to a network, or backplane (CompactBus Local) problem.

There is other info in that online book - "Publication 1756-PM015C-EN-P - October 2009" which deserves a good read !

Last edited:
I have just realised - why am I advising people to read manuals?

Just give me a call to arrange some professional training !! lol;)

....continued

In that case, a Power-Up Handler may not cure the problem.

Added: -
Just read the "Logix5000 Controllers Information and Status" online book, where it states that Type=3 / Code=16 Fault occurs -

"...will fault if the connection is dropped while in Run mode. A required
I/O module connection failed, creating a 3/16 type fault."

This could be a due to a network, or backplane (CompactBus Local) problem.

There is other info in that online book - "Publication 1756-PM015C-EN-P - October 2009" which deserves a good read !
Thank you for your very in depth help.
I think your right, I tried the power up handler, no joy, after reading the book, I noticed, there is no module selected to fault on connection loss (the check box in properties) and when online in fault condition, no I/O module shows as being faulted, whats more, when online, the I/O indicator in logix 5000 next to the little animated keyswitch, says I/O ok. I do have a powerflex 40 controlled via a 22commE card, but that seems to be ok as well. I think when I go into work today, I'll start by inhibiting modules one by one and see if there is a specific culprit, but I have a feeling its in the compact bus local, thats the location the fault gives, just cant see anything specific that would cause it, have even swapped controllers, power supply maybe?