Compact Logix Default Program

fra123

Hello,

I am currently tasked with updating our EtherNet/IP scanner program to be able to connect to CompactLogix devices to read their tags etc.

I have updated our EtherNet/IP scanner side to be able to communicate with these PLCs but when I try connect to our test device, a CompactLogix 1769-L16ER-BB1B I see in wireshark traces that upon initial connection via TCP, the PLC responds with a RST, ACK.

This device has been set up with an IP address and flashed with the latest firmware using RSLinx Classic Lite and connected on our test network and set to run mode.

My question is as we have set this PLC up out of the box, does it first need programmed using Studio 5000 before it will be able to respond to any clients connecting or should there be a default program thats already loaded on the PLC out of the box?. I ask this as we currently do not have a license for Studio 5000 and I am wondering if we will require one to first program this PLC to make it functional.

Out of the box, there is no program in it and there won't be a usable firmware in it. The all come with a v1.x firmware and have to be flashed to a proper version. The PLC is useless out of the box until the firmware has been flashed.

Edit: I see you say "this devices has been setup..." I was assuming you were referring to your scanner, but I'm thinking you were referring to your PLC, so my reply was likely useless.

Your scanner won't be able to read tags because it sounds like you have not put them into the PLC yet. After a firmware flash, there is no logic in the PLC and no tag database.

Last edited:
Thank you for responding dmroeder, is very much appreciated.

As I am just wanting to flash a simple program on the PLC just to have some tags available, what is the most basic version of Studio 5000 you would recommend obtaining. Also do you know if free trials are available for this software and if not is it best to contact Rockwell directly to buy a license?

Hi there fra123,

Studio5000 comes in a number of versions:
https://www.rockwellautomation.com/...e/studio-5000/studio-5000-logix-designer.html

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qr/9324-qr001_-en-p.pdf

Usually there is a grace period of 7 days to try it without a licence.

In the UK, the distributor for Rockwell is Routeco,
https://www.routeco.com/en-gb
and you will find they have different branches - find your nearest one and give them a call.
You rarely get a discount on software from them though..