Programing my first anolog circuit

Tusabes

Can anyone help me with programing my first anolog circuit. I have a micrologix 1200 and an allen bradley power flex 4 VFD. I do not know what I want as my anolog input, but I would like to vary my VFD as my output. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should use as an anolog input, something that I can mainpulate to see the variance on my output. I am aware that I need to buy an anolog card for my PLC, and there are some available on e bay, I just do not know which to buy. If anyone has a current program that I can view using such inputs and outputs, so that I can get a good understanding in how to program this, I would appreciate the help. I am doing this to gain a better understanding in anolog programing, then on to PID programing. Hopefully I said this correctly, and thanks for the help.

Tusabes

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should use as an anolog input? It should be something that I can mainpulate to see the variance on my output.
I think you need a little education about controls and feedback. It may not be as simple as you have described.

First, if you only want to manipulate "something", and see a result on your output (assuming the output goes to the speed reference input of your PowerFlex 4 variable frequency drive), then simply manipulate the Powerflex speed setpoint (using an analog output from your PLC, or a speed input from an HMI, or simply a potentiometer) from 0 to 60 Hz to see the VFD ramp from 0 to full speed. That is all you need to do what you described.

Now if you want to set up a typical feedback control loop, then you then will have to set up your VFD to "do something" in order to get some results to feed back into your PLC as an analog input. For example, if you connected your VFD to a fan motor, you could use the fan to cool down an object (or heat it up if you have duct heater or similar to blow some air through). Then put a thermocouple or temperature sensor on the object being cooled or heated, and feed that signal to an analog input. Use the analog input signal as a process feedback to control your VFD speed - as the cooled (or heated) object reaches it desired temperature, you could have the VFD reduce its speed until it maintains that temperature.

If you have a small pump available, you could hook your VFD to the pump motor, and use a flowmeter sensor to measure the flow through a hose, and use the flowrate signal to vary the speed of the VFD to maintain the flow at a certain setpoint.

A control loop is a system. Until you decide on your system, no one can tell you how to do something that is only a thought in your mind.

If anyone has a current program that I can view using such inputs and outputs, so that I can get a good understanding in how to program this, I would appreciate the help.
There are hundreds of programs posted on this site already. A search should find more than you will ever want to read through. Use search terms to find exactly what you are want. Click on "Search, Advanced Search" on the PLCtalk menu bar right above this post.

Here, I did a search for "beginner with analog outputs" to get you started. It found 6 old threads but no program examples. The last two threads are relevant to your beginning analog programs.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/search.php?searchid=3112363

I have dozens of program examples using analog inputs and outputs. I hesitate to post one, because it could only confuse you more. Most of the time, the parts of any control loop are spread out through a long routine. I will see if I can find a simple, concise, compact example. Here is one with the analog input and analog output in the same instruction in a 1-rung program.

Tusabes Simple Analog Example Program.jpg

Last edited:
For some reason I'm getting the Idea that most the questions on here are from students trying to get us to do their homework. Does anyone else agree?

I wouldn't say MOST. Though the most fun are those who just take a picture of the question and want a complete answer.

But occasionally we have a student who has made a good first try. They show their work. They just need some help understanding a point they are confused about.

Thanks Lancie 1 for your help. Yes, I was looking for more of a feedback control loop program. Going to decide on what I will be doing as for my system. In the meantime, I will buy my analog card. which should I get; a combination 2-channel input 2-channel output voltage/current Analog Module; or individual I/O 4-channel voltage/current Analog Modules. What are the difference between 2-channel and 4-channel? And I am currently taking a class in instrumentation.

Not to get off the subject on why I'm here in the first place, but every PLC programer had to learn from the ground up, right! So I believe we were all students at one point or another, some just got ahead faster than others. And for me, I will always be a student, ready to learn something new.

Which should I get; a combination 2-channel input 2-channel output voltage/current Analog Module; or individual I/O 4-channel voltage/current Analog Modules?
The main difference is price versus quantity of I-O points. (For analog, the channel" term means one analog input or output point). For a training setup, probably the combination 2I/2O would be good as any. You might find acceptable used I-O modules on Ebay, in which case go with the cheapest working modules with some type of guarantee or return policy.