Programming LinMot Linear Motors

might be .. I'm not in the workshop.. my S7 1200 (1212c) might need an additional I/O module .. (I don't think it has 8 digital outputs) By the way.. You shouldn't be working on this until I have some intelligent questions .. I have to find the time to spend a few days reviewing all the info I've accumulated .. I can simulate a PLC's output with switches.

After I'm close to the solution.. I would like to talk to you.. but, it's too early ... i must study more first... :)

Here's an unrelated question... How do you find your own threads on this Forum... if it weren't for the emails the forum sends out when someone posts .. I would never be able to get back to this thread.. I sooooo don't know how to navigate this forum... sigh!

Dear Osmanmom

Much of this Motion Control system I understand. Just like I understand how a Tesla Coil works from looking at a schematic of a Tesla Coil. Problem is, you can't build a Tesla Coil, just from looking at a schematic. The schematic isn't enough information for "construction".

Yet, If given a diagram of how all the components of a home entertainment system go together, showing the DVD player, and the Television, connected to the amplifier, DVR and speakers .. the average person probably could get it working ... just from the diagram.

So now I have a HMI, a Siemens PLC (both interconnect with ethernet/profibus). I have two types of driver/controllers for the LinMot linear motor. They are both PID drivers.

One, is Profibus connectable, and the other is intended to receive digital I/O. Both are capable of storing the "curves" that I would want the actuator to run. The PLC need only to tell the driver which curve, and when to run it.

I also have a "dumb" driver/controller from LinMot .. It does not generate stored curves... it is only intended to follow a signal on an analog input .. which is provided by a Motion Controller. The Motion Controller creates the curves "on the fly" .. they're just sine waves after all … :) The Motion Controller also uses the feedback from the actuator for tuning.

Knowing how these components of linear motion control go together, isn't enough information to make them function together.

I presently have a working LinMot system functioning quite well ..under the control of a PC, using LinMot's configuration software "TALK-6"

The PLC is not connected yet. In theory, the PC is emulating the PLC to do this "configuration" of the Driver. At least the I/O's can manually be entered by the PC... and the Driver/actuator responds with the desired curve. All this works Great!

LinMot has generated several publications which aid in the programing of their Driver/Controllers. They speak of "Control words", Status Words", "Warning words".. Parameters, Variables .. There are long tables of commands, which might be entered in the Driver's Motion Command Tables.

All of this is presented as though the reader already knows what the information is.. and more importantly, how it is used... The DETAILS, as it were, are not provided … there are no "explanations", or examples.. or tutorials to get one started on simple motion control without the PLC. Or perhaps a Motion Controller.

I'm kinda left with the sinking feeling that the next step for me, is writing code.. I never expected that. I expected something more user friendly. I just didn't know.

to be continued ... Regards, Michael

HI Osmammom..

http://linmot2.dynalias.net/plc_lib/libraries/

This is the link I got from LinMot

Am I correct is my new understanding that one has to write code for this system to perform.. that there is no "user friendly" .. plug and play way to run a series of sine waves from an HMI screen ? The buttons on the screen can be sliders for Time & Amplitude... or just numbers 1 to 20 .. for waves of preset length and amplitude.

Is it all about code .. like C# or C++ ?

Regards, Michael

Last edited:
You're a wonderful person.. please don't take much time on this.. I have sent some eMails to LinMot .. I'm just looking for a little explanation, or simple tutorial that describes the "process" ... I don't have to use Profibus... But that would be nice. For now I'm happy with just using I/O's (high or low).. there is a 8 bit word that will access the Command Table based on the status of that word.. the PLC ought to be able to set that word, and trigger the response from the LinMot Driver. I get the philosophy, I just don't get the details.

When you chose "Profibus" doesn't that require some profibus software, which sends (serially) the command words to the Driver? Well... where is that software? Does one purchase profibus software? or ... does one have to create it? (write code)?

Regards, Michael

I also need to understand this stuff.

Present i using VIPA software to import the LinMot old library for step-7 not TIA,

This code will not suitable for your level this moment.

The Profibus need to mapping with LinMot parameters,

The Profibus inside Siemens.

you need to map your s-curve accel,decel,etc

To advanced for you.

use the Command Table for starting.

find the easy way.

GSD.jpg

That sounds promising .. The command table is the way to go.. I'll keep working on it ... eventually I will want to use profibus... Thanks

The thing to remember about my curves.. they are not "s-curves" with consideration for a particular acceleration and deceleration ... they must be real "sine waves" either generated on the fly, live by a motion controller, and presented to the driver as an analog signal ±10 VAC .. where the driver interprets the value as the amplitude of the sine wave with time... OR, they can be predefined in a command table as a stored "curve" where some process gets the driver to use them in the action of a linear motor... sigh! How hard could it be... :)

Last edited:
PS:... The PID driver (E1130-DP or the E1100-GP) will use acceleration, current and velocity only in the feed-forward mode of forcing(tuning)the actuator to follow the analog signal. There is no "input" for Acceleration or Deceleration on the command table.. there is no point-to-point movement .. there is only "home" and the need to eventually stop the curve at the lowest, negative position of travel .. and return to home.. and wait for another curve.

Note.. I could do this with a variable speed motor and a "scotch yoke" ...that's the way it would have been done 100 years ago. I'm just trying to use today's linear movement technology to do something that would easily be done by mechanics... sigh!

Nope.. they were on S7-1200 .. but.. I couldn't afford the Professional TIA .. so, I went to Delta Motion's RMC75E motion controller, managed by Red Lion's G3 series HMI.. and got everything to work perfectly. Regular waves of any size and length (within reason, and the laws of physics), Tsunamis, all types, Random Seas and Rogue waves .. Only one LjnMot Drive will work with a Motion Controller, an' that's the B1100-VF-(HC or XC) ..it's a "dumb driver".. the motion controller does all the thinking, and PID feedback. .. awesome system ... and, an awesome idea for using the LinMot linear motor & drive, which came from Osmanmom.

Hi Guys

Any of you guys have a idea how to read the on the PLC ( Omron NJ my case ) errors from Linmot , I have a C1250 Drive Ethercat connection???
appreciate any feedback, thanks