Programming With V Memory

AGENTTINFOIL

Ok,I have wrote my first program, and it is quite long. Now I want to take the next step to cut the program down. I have used counters and timers in my program and would like to know how to use v registers to store my values and execute my outputs? The plc that I am programming is a dl06, could some one help me to understand this a little better, and also how do I write the values to memory? and maybe some logic examples would help. I will post my program if someone would like to take a look at it.

Here is my program can someone look at it and give me some examples of programming with v memory cause I'm just not getting it. My program started out long and i was able to cut it down but now I would like to take the next step.

Ok, I assume I would use the memory editor to manipulate my values. Also what about a counter, for example what if I wanted to count to ten, would I just place that 10 value in to a v register as well like say 2001?

AGENTTINFOIL said:
Ok, I assume I would use the memory editor to manipulate my values. Also what about a counter, for example what if I wanted to count to ten, would I just place that 10 value in to a v register as well like say 2001?

1. You could use the memory editor or a touch screen.
2. Yes with the counter.

In your timers and counters, where you are now using a K (Constant) value you can use instead a 'V' register reference. Then the preset for the timer or counter would be whatever the contents of that 'V' register is. For the multiple lanes, assuming all are counting to the same count, you can use THE SAME 'V' register, setting it just once to the value you want. The counts could be fixed counts selected by an inputcontact. Or they could be totally variable counts entered from an operator display.

Ok Bernie, My memory locations have to be the ranges in the plc manual, correct? For example timer locations are different than counter locations or ranges.

Last edited:
The locations you see in the manual for timers and counters is where the timers and counters keep the CURRENT or ACCUMULATED cout/time. Don't think of using those areas for writing. You can read tohose area to see wht the count or time is currently at. Whaat I was suggesting is using 'V' memory locations (for ease begin at V200 and work up) as a holding sport for a VARIABLE time or count preset.

For example, in your program in rung 3 you have CT0 with a preset constant of 10 (K10). If you placed "V2000' where "K10" is then the count wouldd be what ever is in V2000.

You have '10', '12', '24' and '36' count setting from external inputs. Your logic could then look something like this:

X7
----||-------------------------- LD K10
|
|
-- OUT V2000

X10
----||-------------------------- LD K12
|
|
-- OUT V2000

etc.

Then you only have to have one counter for each lane. The preset (the second line in the setup) would be V2000 instead of KXX.

Bernie how do I put that to an output, I understand v registers and how to put my values in now, but how does the LD, and out work? Look at this one does this work the same way?

Last edited: