puff the majic smoke

My bad; Somebody plugged an Ethernet cable into the rj45 jack prior to me seeing this piece of equipment. When I arrived, I saw the Cat5 cable, traced it out and it went to the panelview enclosure, and I assumed it went to the panelview. Turns out the cable exited the panelview cabinet and went to an Ethernet switch. This was the problem

...and if I had to guess, I'd say that the port it was plugged into had Power Over Ethernet switched on???

I've seen someone let the smoke out of a switch before, by connecting in a wireless AP's POE adaptor backwards...obviously he didn't let it all out though, because as far as I know it's still got enough smoke left to keep working...those Hirschmann switches must be pumped chock full of smoke!

While it's not the first time, I'd dare say this will be the last time I link this...

49839 - SLC 5/01, 5/02, 5/03 : Protocol and Communication cable
Access Level: TechConnect

"...Do NOT connect this port to a live Ethernet network with an Ethernet cable!
This will cause irreversible damage to the processor!...
"

The Ethernet network does not need to be using Power over Ethernet (PoE) to enable the processor's "Smoke Discharge Cycle" when an Ethernet cable is mistakenly plugged in. The native DH-485 (RJ-45) communications port on the SLC 5/01, 5/02 and 5/03 controllers output 24VDC on certain pins to provide power to external devices such as a 1747-AIC Link Coupler. The Ethernet cable and network may inadvertently short these pins on the port and then the processor sings "Puff The Magic Dragon".

G.