PULS versus AB Power supplies

kpElec

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
I was hoping someone could tell me if there's an advantage between using PULS or AB power supplies that are rated for SELV and PELV? I know a lot of you have a lot of experience with these power supplies and I was hoping to get your input.

Other than cost, I believe both manufacturers have 3-phase power input models. I believe the MTBF for the AB is much higher than the PULS though.

Thoughts or opinions are welcome.

Thank you.

In my experience most AB power supplies are rebranded puls. Compare the drawing and pictures of the models you are looking at and see if there is any resemblance. If there is then that answers your question, which ever you can get for a better price.

I don't know about all of the AB power supplies, but at least some of them are made by PULS and just rebranded for AB.

They all are. About 7 or 8 years ago A-B used to brand label Sola power supplies, then Sola stopped making their own and began brand labeling something from China (I think Chint or Meanwell), so A-B switched to Puls. Most of the DIN rail mount power supplies on the market all come from 4 or 5 companies under brand-labeling agreements.

They all are. About 7 or 8 years ago A-B used to brand label Sola power supplies, then Sola stopped making their own and began brand labeling something from China (I think Chint or Meanwell), so A-B switched to Puls. Most of the DIN rail mount power supplies on the market all come from 4 or 5 companies under brand-labeling agreements.

This, and most brands make no real effort to hide it. If you go anything Puls or Meanwell, you will be getting a decent product. We have used mostly AB, Eaton, Schneider and Phoenix PSU's in our machines, and I don't think I've replaced a single one in over 10 years now. Even the machines we get back for rebuilds are still sporting the PSUs they were sent out with 20 years ago.

The advantage to using a SELV or PELV is to make sure it is 'Class 2' rated. This allows you to use non-UL listed devices after the power supply with no penalty since the power supply provides extra protection.

If you have a panel getting certified - you also need to be careful because some analog devices or sensors will state in their documentation that they require a class 2 supply.