Pv1400e 2711e-k14c6 Replacement ?

I seemed fated to this thread!đź’€

Direct Tags: In all other HMI's you have ever used, all the tags you have used to animate objects, or write to, have been defined in a "tag database" where you had to create a name for the tag, specify the node or access path to the plc, and then specify the address within the plc. Plus you got to define things like datatype, units, scaling, etc.

With Direct Tags whenever you want to create a connection between an object, for example a "Numeric Display", instead of going through all the above work, all you do is click on a button in the "Connection Tab", and viola an "OPC Tag Browser" window opens, which allows you to navigate to all the data tables in the Online PLC and directly create a connection to the address you want. (Or if it is a CLX processor the Offline PLC project is available to browse as well.) It's literally the work of 2-3 seconds to browse to the actual live PLC address you want, click on it, and the exact connection with the exact syntax is fully defined.

This is a huge reduction in time and error-prone work, especially at the later stages of the development when you want to be addding or changing those extra tags that got overlooked or have been created since the original tag import at the outset.

Test Run is another powerful feature. When editing in Studio you can do two forms of Test Run. The simplest and quickest is to click the "Run" button, and the page you are on will connect to the live PLC, update all the tag values, and animate. This is extremely quick and simple to do.

At Ver3.2 you can also ask from within Studio to do a project compile and do a full project runtime on you PC. ie you get to test the whole application from your PC exactly as if it where running on the PV+ terminal.

Last edited:
I have just completed my first PV+ project using a PV+600. Very easy to configure and straight forward! I give it the thumbs up and found it easy to program the a PV!

PhilipW said:
I seemed fated to this thread!đź’€

Yes i agree

PhilipW said:
With Direct Tags whenever you want to create a connection between an object, for example a "Numeric Display", instead of going through all the above work, all you do is click on a button in the "Connection Tab", and viola an "OPC Tag Browser" window opens, which allows you to navigate to all the data tables in the Online PLC and directly create a connection to the address you want.

What if its an SLC and the PLC isnt online ?

What if its an SLC and the PLC isnt online ?
It doesn't work so well. At this time there is only support for Offline Browsing of CLX project files.

The simplest fix is to get hold of an SLC you can temporarily drop the program into and use that as the online browsing target.

I wonder if RSEmulate500 could be used for the same purpose?..I'll get back and let you know.

So would i just need an slc in a rack, what about the io ? could i disregard this and have the slc in prog ?

PhilipW said:
Direct Tags: In all other HMI's you have ever used, all the tags you have used to animate objects, or write to, have been defined in a "tag database" where you had to create a name for the tag, specify the node or access path to the plc, and then specify the address within the plc. Plus you got to define things like datatype, units, scaling, etc.

With Direct Tags whenever you want to create a connection between an object, for example a "Numeric Display", instead of going through all the above work, all you do is click on a button in the "Connection Tab", and viola an "OPC Tag Browser" window opens, which allows you to navigate to all the data tables in the Online PLC and directly create a connection to the address you want. (Or if it is a CLX processor the Offline PLC project is available to browse as well.) It's literally the work of 2-3 seconds to browse to the actual live PLC address you want, click on it, and the exact connection with the exact syntax is fully defined.
Personally, I don't see direct addressing as a particularly good thing. The structure that can be built in to a tag database is highly beneficial in keeping the system orderly and easily understandable/modifiable. And the same OPC browsing facility is available when attaching an address to a tag.

Incidentally, direct addressing was always available in ControlView, but its use was officially discouraged - possibly because it defeated the tag count licensing.

PhilipW said:
No. RSview32 is a high end HMI/SCADA application that runs on Windows2000/XP. The WinCE OS in PV+ does not support this.

(Note: PV+ has an physically identical cousin called VersaView, which also runs WinCE, but is open to allowing the end user to run third-party applications compiled for WinCE. )

RSView Studio is the editing tool for the new generation of Rockwell HMI's. It can create projects for three different runtime environments, RSView ME (Machine Edition) Station (which also loads onto PV+), RSView SE (Supervisory Edition)which is the next generation of RSView32, and RSView SE Distributed, which brings multiple servers/global database to the game.

ME = Single PLC node, PV replacement, no HDD, limited logging.

SE = Multiple PLC nodes, RSView 32 replacement, full set of HMI features.

SE Distributed = Same as SE, plus multiple servers and full implementation of Factory Talk global database scheme.

At present RSView32 is still the flagship because it has 10 years of development behind it, fully featured and very stable. However the new generation of RSView ME/SE/Distributed will with time and a few more major Revs take over the lead product spot.

Ok

sorry to bring this thread back to the surface Philip........

I am just about to order RSView for the Panel view Plus ++++

Presumably i need 9701-VWSTMENE RS View Enterprise SE ?

Then when i buy a panelview plus for a customer does this come with RSView ME or do i have to buy this as an extra on top of the Pv+?

And when you said the RSView ME is licensed by the page ? How does this work i cant find a reference top ABs site on it ?

Last edited:
504bloke said:
I am just about to order RSView for the Panel view Plus ++++

Presumably i need 9701-VWSTMENE RS View Enterprise SE ?
For programming PanelViewPlus you need RSViewStudio for ME. You got the catalog number right, but the product is not RSViewEnterpriseSE.
504bloke said:
Then when i buy a panelview plus for a customer does this come with RSVies ME or do i have to buy this as an extra on top of the Pv=?
Yes, ME is pre-loaded on the PanelViewPlus, you do not need to buy an extra copy.