Question about OPC Server-Client

ladderlogix

Hi All,
This is probably a simple question, but I never work with an OPC.
I’m using few three slc 5/05. The computer that they will communicate to, has OPC Client.
What kind of OPC Server should I have?
Is there any specific software needed?
What kind of PLC data should I have in order to be able to get the information from the PLC?

Thanks and Regards,

Here's my non-technical answer:

An OPC server is like a Web server or a SQL server. But instead of web page and Database it serves OPC data to any OPC client that request it. OPC server also handle communication of data to/from the PLC. A lot of vender writes OPC server that works with AB processor. I believe RSLink that you may already have works as an OPC server, read the help on it.

You set up a TOPIC in the OPC server, a topic usually consist of PLC com specs. Once a TOPIC is done you can ask for it in the OPC client by using form like "TOPIC:TAG". So,

Read from PLC: PLC -> OPC Server -> OPC client
Write is the reverse

For more technical blahs see http://www.opcfoundation.org/ they got a flash online tutorial on the home page.

As Harry Said:
serves OPC data to any OPC client that request it

The next question is which HMI are you using. If you're using A-B hardware you're probably using RSLogix to program it. Since RSLogix comes with RSLinx Lite in order to keep things as simple as possible you should seriously consider buying RSLinx OEM.

Regardless, you do have (many) other options, some of which may have better performance than RSLinx. Matrikon and KepWare are two of the most popular producers of OPC server software. There are many others.

Good Luck,

(8{)} ( .)

(Yosi)

Hi,
Tnanks for your answars!
I'm using Allen Bradly SLCs 5/05 as processors, and RSLOgix 500 as software, and of course I'm using RSLinks to find and dwonload the software from my computer to the processor.
The guy that I sent him the processors, said he has an OPC Client and asked me to provide an OPC server.
The question is by using RSLinks I provide automatically OPC server? If not What should I added/modified to furnish an OPC server?
Many thanks for your help,
Regards

The problem is that your version of RSLink might not provide OPC functionality. The most inexpansive RSLink that provide that is RSLink OEM or RSLink Gateway, call your local Rockwell dealer to get a $ figure. The RSLinx Lite that comes free with the programming package do not have OPC, I believe.

Once you got the right version of RSLinx, select DDE/OPC from the the menu -> Topic Configuration -> New Topic and just point to the PLC. This need to be done on your client's PC since the PATH to the PLC is DIFFERENT from one PC to another.

Hey, I just found a few KB article on Rockwell:

A53250590: RSLinx support for Data Clients by Product
Q9356: RSLinx Version/Features Matrix <= newer
G630811: OPC - General Information