Question about what wires to use

Thank you Alaric, that was very informative. I do have NFPA 2011...Just bought it about a month ago, guess I should have looked there first.
I still have time, so I'll get enough #18 wire to run orange for all my outputs to the other panel.
I appreciate everyone's help.
Dave

the Beldon cable will be inside a 1" pvc conduit along with separate wires for dc current. Also the Beldon will NOT be used for both ac and dc.
I still have time, so I'll get enough #18 wire to run orange for all my outputs to the other panel.
Dave,

The wire color is important, but do not neglect Alaric's other point. The voltage rating of the wire insulation is (for me) more important than the color.
The cable must also have insulation rated high enough for the highest voltage it will share a conduit, raceway, or enclosure with. So for example if it shares a wire duct with 480V conductors, even if it just crosses thru the duct, you have to have at least 600V rated insulation.
The color is useful for identification, but the insulation voltage-withstand rating will protect you from getting 480 VAC on a 24 VAC wire. Make sure that ALL those ORANGE wires inside that conduit have an insulation rating higher than the highest possible voltage. You never said what that AC voltage level was - apparently this topic was not too important for you, but you need to consider it for safety purposes.

Last edited:
Dave,

The wire color is important, but do not neglect Alaric's other point. The voltage rating of the wire insulation is (for me) more important than the color.The color is useful for identification, but the insulation voltage-withstand rating will protect you from getting 480 VAC on a 24 VAC wire. Make sure that ALL those ORANGE wires inside that conduit have an insulation rating higher than the highest possible voltage. You never said what that AC voltage level was - apparently this topic was not too important for you, but you need to consider it for safety purposes.

Lancie, I didn't quote the AC voltage level because I'm working with 120vac and I knew the wire insulation I ordered would be ok.

I do appreciate you bringing the subject up tho. Thanks for your input.

Dave

Note: the Beldon cable will be inside a 1" pvc conduit along with separate wires for dc current.
Lancie, I didn't quote the AC voltage level because I'm working with 120vac and I knew the wire insulation I ordered would be ok.
The part that bothered me was your description of the 1" conduit IMPLIED that other cables would be in that conduit. My point (and Alaric's) is that if those OTHER cables happen to be a higher voltage, then your 300 volt wire insulation level may not be okay. Those other cables affect the required voltage level of the cables that you are "working with".

The part that bothered me was your description of the 1" conduit IMPLIED that other cables would be in that conduit. My point (and Alaric's) is that if those OTHER cables happen to be a higher voltage, then your 300 volt wire insulation level may not be okay. Those other cables affect the required voltage level of the cables that you are "working with".

Point well taken, Lancie...You are correct that another voltage will be present.
I'll have 24vdc and 120vac only. Thank you guys for your insight...These are things that don't normally run through my head, but I will make a mental note of it.

Regards, Dave