REAL newbie need help with A/B 5/03 and software

We have both Radio Shack (now called the Source by Circuit City) AND Best Buy EH ! ! If I can get outta my igloo and get the dog sled fired up I will venture to one of them. (provided the wife doesn't make me go out all weekend and russle her up some fresh polar bear and seal meat!)

Good day eh!

You must be in southern Ontario with the dog sled. Up North, we're still using slow shoes only.

Update

Great group of people on this site....I just hope Mickey knew I was just joking with my Canadian humour (or lack there of). Well, to put it lightly, I've struck out with my attempts with this software stuff. After downloading EVERY single file listed in the RSLinx Lite 2.43 directory from A/B (now that alone was an experience I tell you...you've probably already had the "pleasure".), I tried to install it on the Dell running the 98 SE O/S and was DENIED because I lack the administrator access required for new installations (long story with my workplace....not worth explaining it either). So, for the time being I'm a dead stick. :mad:
By nature, I hate to fail, so I will continue in my attempts to solve my issues. I wouldn't even consider to continue the battle if it weren't for all of your guys help and suggestions. Again, thanks for your efforts and time. I WILL update if/when I win....and darn it, I like to win.

Woody

If I can get outta my igloo and get the dog sled fired up I will venture to one of them. (provided the wife doesn't make me go out all weekend and russle her up some fresh polar bear and seal meat!)
Cold?

weather.JPG

Again, get yourself a null-modem cable ( Radio Shack or Best Buy or what you have up north) and try the DF1 driver . No need for that PIC.

Okay, I've made up a null modem cable...where does it connect? AND do I need RSLinx now or can I get away with just RSLogix 500 now? Remember...REAL newbie here! Thanks.

Woody
(no 85 degrees here I can tell ya Mickey!)

Okay, I've made up a null modem cable...where does it connect? AND do I need RSLinx now or can I get away with just RSLogix 500 now? Remember...REAL newbie here! Thanks.

Plug one end into the serial port of your computer and the other end into the serial port of your SLC5/03. See picture and a how-to setup RSLinx below.

Serialport.jpg

Attachments

• rslinx_setup_serial.pdf
    130.4 KB · Views: 6
Plug one end into the serial port of your computer and the other end into the serial port of your SLC5/03. See picture and a how-to setup RSLinx below.

Thanks once again for your help. I will have to try to open the .pdf on my desk top as this old laptop (which I finally managed to get it hooked up to the net) doesn't have any working adobe reader on it. Secondly, if I use the null modem cable for the hook-up and not the PIC box then am I under the wrong assumption that because I have to disconnect the serial cable from the i/o's to hook up the null modem cable that I could not perform a diagnostic (if necessary) on the equipment while in the "run" mode? Does not disconnecting the cable from the 5/03 render the machine in-operable and only give me access (communication) to the PLC itself? Lastly, I'm in search of RSLinx Lite v.2.00.97 which apparently will work with my windows 98 O/S...but..it is no longer available via the A/B site? Question is this..is there anyone out there that can provide me a download link where I could get this version..OR is there another version of Lite that you know of that will for sure work with my windows 98 SE operating system? Thanks much in advance.

Woody

RSLinx ver. 2.43 will work with your operating system. Free at AB.com.
What kind of I/O do you have connected the the serial port?

RSLinx ver. 2.43 will work with your operating system. Free at AB.com.
What kind of I/O do you have connected the the serial port?

Hence my biggest problem. RSLinx ver. 2.43 is downloaded file, by file, by file, by file etc. which I did so painfuly last week, but, when I tried to launch the .exe file I got a Windows warning message saying something about "your application failed to launch because you don't have authority" or something like that, which is B.S. because I have administrative rights on it (by default in Window 98 SE) so I have no clue as to what the heck is going on. I will have to try to find a version that is NOT too new and is contained in a .zip file as some of them are.
Like I said in my original thread, I'm new so please excuse some of my poor terminology. There is already an RS32 communication cable "secured" to the 5/03 (below the ethernet connection area)so I made the assumption that this cable was the physical connection between the PLC and the i/o's ? Is it not? And if it isn't, how is the PLC carrying out its "commands"?
I opened the .pdf by the way and the RSLinx instructions are great, thank you. I just need a working version on this darn laptop of mine still!🤞🏻

Woody

Currently downloading RSLinx Lite v.2.51 I hope like crazy that this version also supports Windows 98 SE. If it does and it will actually install I can FINALY go and try to establish a connection. Geez, only one hour and forty seven minutes to go for the download to complete! (snooz)

Now that would have saved me a whole bunch of researching! Unfortunately, as I have mentioned before, I've already tried downloading EVERY file listed from the RSLinx Lite 2.43 directory from A/B and it will not install. There must be something missing and maybe this is deliberate ? so "support", free or not, can be dropped for old operating systems such as Windows 98 SE O/S. (??)
IF THERE IS ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAS A COMPLETE .zip FILE OF RSLINX VERSION 2.00.97 THRU 2.43 THAT IS WORKING AND CAN GIVE ME A LINK TO, I WOULD BE VERY GREATFUL. I've learned a great deal in a short time and the only thing holding me back is getting a working copy of the RSLinx 2.00.97 - 2.43 up and running on my old Dell Laptop. Again, any further assistance would be awesome. In the mean time, I will continue to search the nets resources for something.:geek:

Finally, success in getting RSLinx 2.43 up and running on the Dell. Just waiting for my "gender bender" in the mail to first try the 1747-PIC box, and failing that, I will go ahead with the null modem attempt. I will update further soon. Thanks all.

Woody

ALMOST THERE!! A little more required though!

I'm sooooo close I can almost taste the ladder diagram! Please check out me screen shots and maybe you can see what it is I'm doing to not be able to "go online" with my 5/03 and "upload" the ladder diagram to my laptop? I AM using the 1747 PIC box (just got my gender changer from Singapore in the mail yesterday...finally). So, please let me know what you think.

...darn it...won't let me attach my screen shots (word pad)..files are too big. Help.