Real time project with Micrologix

rsdoran

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have recently taken a new job and my first project is a fairly simple one. I am going to turn on a pump and chiller an hour before production starts. In the future other items may be added to the process...air compressor, extruder heat etc. I am involved at the start of a new process with all new equipment in its own building with management that wants processes automated.

At this time I dont need but 16 I/O with a RTC (real time clock). The company has decided to standardize on AB either MicroLogix or the SLC at this time.

What I plan to do is program the plc to look at day of week..ie 0=Sunday 1=Monday etc and turn on the chiller/pump for that day if scheduled. I will need to use an Operator Interface to modify for holidays and unscheduled work days. I may also schedule off time and in future more items will be added to the process.

I looked at the MicroLogix 1000 but couldnt see where RTC was available so I am looking at the ML1200 with RTC and a MicroView as the operator interface. I may up to an ML1500 to get 2 ports and more expansion options but not sure yet if the cost will be a factor.

My Question
Will the ML1200 with RTC module with the MicroView (2707-MVP232) offer the ability to create screens to modify the day to day needs? I have read thru the manual for the MicroView and it looks to me like it will work but I wanted to verify it. I believe the ML1200 with an RTC should allow me to use a compare instruction to verify time on a day to day basis.

If I am not mistaken, you can use MOV instructions with RTC function file (real-time clock).

MOV RTC:0.YR N7:0

Note the format of the RTC word (in this case, the year). RSLogix help file is somewhat misleading on this.

Unfortunately, unlike SLC500, you can only read the real-time clock, you cannot write to it.

I have used the 1200 with the RTC module for a scheduled operation. The individuals are correct - you can read the RTC and use the MOV instruction to access the time, date, etc. but I couldn't write to it to reset the clock except from RSLOgix. That isn't a big problem if you have RSLoigix available, but it can be for an OEM system.

As long as the clock maintains the proper time I wont need to write to it.

I was more concerned with the abilities of the OP.

Thanks

I have decided to use the ML1200 (1762-L24AWAR) that has 2 comm ports and 1762-MM1RTC memory module with real time clock. I will be connecting to a PV300 micro for the operator interface.

The PV300 should have the features I need and the ML1200 offers expansion options for the future.

Thanks for the assist.

Jnelson

The RTC dose not account for daylight savings time. I have my Micrologixs 1500 on the network and use RSView systemtime to set the time using CPW once a day and when the machine is powered up.

Bob O.