Real time project with Micrologix

Ive looked at these and several of the other vendors of similar products, and my complaint is, its all DC! Does anyone know of systems like these that have AC inputs and outputs? Thanks

Matt

Thomas Sullens said:
MicroView (2707-MVP232) I don`t see this cat. # in the PanelVeiw Standard Operator Terminals user manual is this a new one?

The Microview is not part of the Panelview family. It is more closely related to the DTAM line.
The software is DOS and you are limited to multi-line text messages, no graphics. I think the small Panelviews are actually cheaper than a Microview - It's been a while since I have had anything to do with one, I think I priced one a couple of years ago.

There's actually a small 2 color LCD with 3" screen called a Panelview 300 Micro. I believe this is what he is talking about. It runs about $400 list.

Tim
built in RTC (not an add-$$ module)

Umm ...what happens when the Unitronic RTC battery fails?

Umm ....what happens when you want an external EEPROM module for it?

Umm...like if you must have online editing then how about getting on the current AB product page and use CompactLogix?

Umm... I am sure the Unitronic V series are perfectly fine machines, but if you want to advertise them, how about starting your own thread.

Umm...

Phil W,

It's always fun to watch the AB guys step up like this. Honestly, given that it was a simple suggestion to consider Uni's, a person might think your were offensensitive, or something.

But since you bring it up, I'm not advertising for Unitronics - I don't work for them. I once favored AB myself, but now I use Unitronics products to exclusion.

Why? Umm...

1. Battery? Good for seven years, backs up the ram and the RTC. Replacable? I don't know, I haven't needed to replace one yet. But the RTC is standard equipment on even the most basic M90 in the product line, and so are the logic funstion blocks that make it a breeze to use.

Speaking of software, why not cruise over to www.unitronics.com and download it? Check it out. See what it can do. After all, it's FREE!

2. Eeprom? All unitronics products store their program in eeprom. The battery-backed ram is used only for process data.

By the way, did you know that ALL unitronics products store the COMPLETE PROGRAM in memory every time you download? That means if your computer croaks, you can upload and have a complete, annotated copy of the program, exactly as it went in. All titles, comments, everything.

Say...umm...is there an AB that will do that? Anywhere? And if so, for how much? Because the most basic M90 starting at <$300 american will.

3. Online editing? True, we don't do that either. But there is this spiffy little trick the Uni's have to work around it.

When you download to a Unitronics, if the changes are not extreme (like a completely different program from the one in it), the processor does not stop. The entire program is downloaded into memory, and at a point in between program scans, the Uni switches from the old copy to the new, seamlessly. It then erases the old copy from memory.

Do the Micrologix do that? Seems to my memory they don't. Cute trick tho, eh?

Finally, as regards your statement that I am "advertising", as said, I don't work for Unitronics. I find it interesting that you would try to exclude them from the debate though.

Say, you don't happen to work for Allen-Bradley, do you?

Umm...

TM

Before we get to far off on a tangent

I appreciate links at all times but doubt many here have tried, used and worked with as many brands as I have. The company has made a decision to standardize with AB, doesnt matter to me what brand is used.I have never had a choice on what was used so at this point in my life it doesnt matter. They are just parts....

The questions and my decision were specific to using an ML with originally a MicroVeiw Operator interface, which is listed with the DTAM models on the website. This is the manual: http://www.ab.com/manuals/eoi/pdf/2707-UM005B-EN-P.pdf

The AB online store has the MicroView and the PV300 micro priced at $325 US. I have PB32 software, am familiar with it so decided to go with PV300.

The strange thing is they have located an ML1200 with 40 I/O and a PV300 both in cabinets with power supply etc...never used, project gone bad or something along those lines.

Personally I dont care about online edits, I was more concerned with getting 2 comm ports which I wont if they buy the above unit.

The Micro 1200/1500 program memory is all non-volatile memory. That means that the base processor doesn't need any battery.

By adding an RTC a battery is needed, which from a product point of view, creates it's own set of problems, because at SOME point in the product life-cycle it may need changing. Therefore it kind of makes sense to make the RTC module a seperate add-on...not just because the evil RA corporate wants to make more $$$.

The same logic applies to an external EEPROM memory module...it allows the convenient transfer of programs is a simple, robust, easily shipped form, that demands a minimum of technical skill at the far end. This is a common OEM machine builder requirement. Kinda makes sense to have it seperate too.

Of course I am sure the Unitronic box uses FlashRAM or something similar for the same purpose.

Of course one of the advantages of combining the PLC and HMI is that you now have so much memory to run the HMI application, that the nice features you outline, online storage of all comments, and the ability to hot swap between old and new versions of the PLC program become trivial to do. This is one of the merits of this approach.

And to repeat myself
I am sure the Unitronic V series are perfectly fine machines,
and suit the kind of applications you do very well..but Tim I guess it must be slightly sensitive making to read all the posts about AB this or that, there are so many of them after all.

Tell you what...I'll call it a truce and promise never to gatecrash a Unitronics thread with any off topic AB stuff. Deal?

Last edited:
Phillip W

Truce :) After all, twas only a suggestion.

Don't get me wrong, I actually do like AB products - they make good stuff, and there are some elements where Unitronics can't match them... yet. It's their business model I take issue with, and that's too much to go into right now.

The Uni products are almost perfectly positioned as an alternative to the Micrologix, which is one reason I like to plug them when I see an ML thread.

It never hurts to keep yer options open!

TM