Recommend me a CAD package

Andrew Hardy

I need to do some simple schematics, I don't need (and would never use) 3D modelling rendering etc. For those with long memories, AutoSketch would be ideal.

What simple CAD packages are there that can do panel drawings? I need to be able to import / export as dxf and dwg and it would handy if it had a library of electrical parts.

I'm not doing this the whole time so it needs to be very easy to learn! (plus cheap)

Thanks

NanoCad. There is a free version and I liked it so much, I got the subscription which I think is $180/year. The paid version has a few things that make it worth the money (especially compared to AutoCad) like batch plot and the ability to edit the details of parameters within blocks.

I have been using it for 5 years with only perhaps two issues. One was a crash with a model imported from Rockwell...massive freaking file when I just needed the foot print of a Micrologix...The other issue is saving to a cloud based drive. Nanocad will open files from Google Drive File Stream, but can't save them back to it, so I have a local folder that I use as interim storage.

you may try Elwin (www.3xm.se). Quite handy and surprisingly powerful, even though the interface is a bit clunky. Immediately useable in full out of the box, although paying just over 30USD will remove a nagging dialog requesting password (it adds a little delay on some operations, and nothing more)

If you are in business of providing electrical work such as building panels then Autocad Electrical is just another tool you need to have.

You might want to look at your tool chest, do you use Dewalt or Black & Decker?

If your answer is Dewalt then you have already answered your own question.

You are in the UK so I assume you are talking about IEC schematics.

Elwin 3xM is quite powerful and costs about $40 US (not sure - 20 pounds?). It will do everything you need if you are working from scratch. Highly recommended - even though the website and the software looks old (it is - 2006-2017). It does the job. Everything exports to Autocad dxf & excel.

Depending on how complex your schematics are PC schematic has a free version that works for up to 40 symbols I think? Usually enough to do simple machines.

If you are working with existing drawings in autocad - there are many autocad clones. I personally use Bricscad because I have a perpetual license. The price has gone up. There are many others such as nanoCad, etc.

Last edited:
If you are in business of providing electrical work such as building panels then Autocad Electrical is just another tool you need to have.

You might want to look at your tool chest, do you use Dewalt or Black & Decker?

If your answer is Dewalt then you have already answered your own question.

I strongly suggest trying www.skycad.ca, the next generation of electrical CAD software.

Trouble is I'm not 99% of my work is software, every few years someone wants drawings from me, but it's not my bread and butter, hence why I need something simple (easy to learn) and cheap (because I'm not doing this the whole time, or even want to be)

TurboCAD

Our engineering department pays an exorbitant amount for AutoCAD every year and we will continue to do so indefinitely. However, we find it much easier to use TurboCAD for our 2D electrical diagrams. It is more intuitive, simple, and can be introduced easily to new users. It has many of the same tools that AC has and the drawings can be interchanged using the dwg extension. The best part is that TurboCAD is very inexpensive and it’s a one time purchase.

The key for the interchange between TC and AC is to use the default font romans.shx.