Recommend me a CAD package

I've used Autocad LT for a few years. Its a little less than $400/yr. My customers pass me dwg and dxf drawings and I send my waterjet cutter dwg files to get enclosure doors cut. I also pull dxf and dwg files from the suppliers to create blocks for my schematics and panel layouts. I believe there might be better packages but being autocad probably heads off some headaches.

Speaking of headaches, a customer requested I use Autocad Electrical a couple years back. It was a nightmare. Maybe if you use it 8 hours a day every day it would be worthwhile, but I found myself spending alot of time setting it up to do the automated stuff and in the end it took alot more time and was unnecessarily complicated.

I've used DraftSight for the last few years and it was free. Now with the newer version you have to pay $99.00 a year for the standard license. Honestly it can do everything I need it do and then some.

If you were going to do panel layout and control wiring drawings everyday then AutoCAD Electrical would be a great option. Difficult to start up as you have to build all the libraries, but it's worth the up front investment. (I have used AutoCAD Electrical since it's inception as a an add-on package from Via Wiring, way back in the day.) SkyCAS looks like a great option, although I'm not a big fan of subscription based software, but it looks like everyone is heading that direction.

NanoCAD is great. Gives the same look and feel of AutoCAD and you take off running as soon as you download and install. Also, can do some automation with its built in programming languages.

Used TurboCAD (when it was DoubleCAD) Another great option

Have used Draftsight - now a paid version. IMHO I preferred DoubleCAD and NanoCAD.

LibreCAD is also another free version. Never used it but it looks like it would get the job done easily.

Hope some of this helps.

Hi another idea is to use a 3rd part contractor to do the drawing. Email a sketch or redlines and they email you back the drawing. If this is a very small part of what you are asked for it maybe your own time is precious working on something else